OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
What is everyone's favorite brand of Skid Plate? actually they look more like a glide plate and everyone has them. Prices look to range from $60 for most, $70 for Works version.
Fit issues with any particular brand? Ease of changing gearcase oil? Any difference in them at all?
What do you all use and your thoughts on them?

Thanks everyone.. Tom

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
I bought a moose name brand skid plate from fredette racing, it fits perfectly and has an access hole for changing the crank case oil. I recommend it, their price was reasonable as well.

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
Looks like the Riccochet plate is wide enough to cover the frame rails and the welded on "loops" on the sides of the frame. Does the Moose plate give the same coverage?
Reason I'm asking is, I can get the Moose through my local motorcycle parts/service store. But for better coverage (we have a LOT of rocks, ledges, roots, etc.. around here) I'll mail order one.
Thanks to both of you for your help. :cool:

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
I believe the Moose is the same as the utah/riccochet/fredette.

The Works is different, but I recall reading something about it mounting to a motor bolt, vs clipping to the frame. Perhaps you should search this site, as it's been brought up in the past.

I have the Utah, purchased directly from them, no complaints.

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
KDXdog said:
I believe the Moose is the same as the utah/riccochet/fredette.

The Works is different, but I recall reading something about it mounting to a motor bolt, vs clipping to the frame. Perhaps you should search this site, as it's been brought up in the past.

I have the Utah, purchased directly from them, no complaints.

Thanks again. I did the search and it appears the Riccochet and Moose plate are one and the same. Both have the "ears".
It's a bedrock mess around here, need all the protection on the bottom (both bike's and mine :laugh: ) I can get.

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
Olhillbilly, if you are running an aftermarket pipe, you may want to throw a guard on that too, as the pipe will catch hell in a fall. I'm using a E-line carbon fiber job on my Gnarly, it's taken it's share of hits.

I also put on a Boyeson aluminum ignition cover, I'm sure the plastic one is fine, but I feel more comfortable with the aluminum.

In addition, I think Works Connection used to sell a plate that covered the waterpump.

That's about all the motor protection I can think of. Ride safe!

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
KDXdog said:
Olhillbilly, if you are running an aftermarket pipe, you may want to throw a guard on that too, as the pipe will catch hell in a fall. I'm using a E-line carbon fiber job on my Gnarly, it's taken it's share of hits.

I also put on a Boyeson aluminum ignition cover, I'm sure the plastic one is fine, but I feel more comfortable with the aluminum.

In addition, I think Works Connection used to sell a plate that covered the waterpump.

That's about all the motor protection I can think of. Ride safe!

Thank you for the info. I'm using the stock pipe for now but I'll look into the Boyeson ignition cover. Didn't realize the stocker was plastic!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Modern high-impact plastics can be tougher than cast aluminum. Not saying that's the case here, but it might be worth considering.

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
Got a Moose plate (along with a bunch of other stuff), looks like it oughta do the trick. :cool:
Will get it on today or tomorrow. I'll post some "after" pictures of the KDX when I get everything installed.
Thanks again for all the input everyone. :)

Top Bottom