JANDERSON

Oct 7, 2001
97 YZ125 with a small mount of plating gone on the exhaust side. I was considering sleeving with LASleeve. Sleeves are reboreable (like in the old days) but I couldn't find a piston other than std. for this year bike. Later on when I need to go oversize where do I look? Which is the better and less expensive option; Resleeve, replate, or new cylinder? I'd like to hear from you that have done any of these options like the replate and who you had do it. Thanks!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think I would re-plate. One thing about the boreable liners...It was good that they were oreable because you had to. They did wear out. I worked on a CR 80 last nite that would have been in need of a re-bore had it not had a plated cylinder.

I also hear the plated stuff runs cooler which should let it last longer. The plating cost sucks, but it is probably cheaper than the sleeve install and two or three bore jobs.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Check out Eric Gores site if you plan on doing any work on your cylender.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Although Wiseco only lists 2 pistons for the 97YZ125, they offer a wider range of sizes for the 98-01 models. That piston series number is 726

LA Sleeve makes excellent products and if you want the option of cheaply reboring the cylinder several times and can sacrifice a bit of performance, their sleeves are the way to go.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'd re-plate. I'm sure that LA Sleeve has a good product but in the long run you will end up spending more money. Since the sleeve will wear out faster than platting you have to factor the cost of reboring when it does. Plus the heat transfer properties are much better with the plating.

Check with US Chrome. It's not that expensing to replate.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by RM_guy
Plus the heat transfer properties are much better with the plating.

that would be my deciding factor in doing the replate rather a sleeve.

maybe you could use the opurtunity to go for a bore and re-plate with a 2mm bigger piston....now that would be fun.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Big Bore. That is what I would do if I ever have to replate my cylinder. For those of us that do not have to live by a displacement standard, why not??

Erics prices are not much more than the standard sizes. Some of the other companies are very proud of the fact they can drill a larger hole in your cylinder. I wonder why they charge so much for this? I can understand if case work is involved, but soem of the folks are getting a grand out of this service!

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
There is some performance difference but to Joe Blow I dont think we really notice it. Its pretty small. That said.... replate. Ive done both in the past and from experience I advise you to replate. Reboring may be cheaper but you have to grind the powervalve etc & there are other little things to do. Keep it simple.

Bigpeat

Dec 30, 2002
I already have a sleeve installed on a 94 Rm 250. I would like to go back and have it coated to Nikasil. Once it was sleeved is it too late to go back to plating ?

Not sure if they coat the sleeve, remove the sleeve then coat ?

Top Bottom