IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
The crossbar on my KTM 250 exc slides from side to side. What I mean is that I can have it centered in the bars and if I ride for I while it will slip to one side or the other. I am still using the stock bars and it has done it since I've had the bike. The allen bolts in the crossbar clamps are tight. Has anyone ever seen this or have any thoughts on how to stop it from happening?

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
The stock bars on my '98 380 did exactly the same thing. I'd reposition after each ride.
The solution I found was to buy a set of Renthals after I cartwheeled the bike a few weeks ago and they snapped in half
eek.gif

MIKE

Nov 27, 1999
IDkTm,
Mine didn't slide from side to side it just creeked when I compressed the suspension or turned the bars hard to either side. I removed the allen bolts and slid the crossbar clamps a little and liberally applied high strength lock-tite under the clamps and to the bolts then reassembled. The noise is gone and I bet your sliding problem would be also.

MIKE 2000 KTM 300MXC eastern wash.

Doc

Two-Stroke Nut
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 9, 2000
Howdy,

Take the bolts out, take the cross bar off, replace the bolts and tighten them snug (not very tight)and measure the gap where the cross bar would be (with a caliper). File the width of the cross bar flats to about 0.010" under the measured gap. Reassemble and tighten the bolts pretty tight (not godzilla tight, they are small bolts) and you should no longer experience the movement.

Cheers,
Doc

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
My KTM bars did this too. The epoxy they use to bond the crossbar clamps has broken. Mark the correct position of the clamps with crossbar on the bars. Remove the crossbar and slide the clamps out of the way. Clean all the old epoxy from the bars and finnish with contact cleaner. Mix up some JB Weld and coat the bars in the clamp area. Reposition the clamps and spin them a few times to work the JB Weld in the joint. Install, align, tighten the crossbar and clean up the excess. No more problems.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Top Bottom