wroof

Sep 6, 2000
i would like to hear from you girls about any terrible hill climb experience u had.
heres mine:
i had a race today and it rained yesterday, and there was this big steep uphill with a little creek at the bottom that was ok for two laps or so then it started to get hairy. the ground practically became soft clay.
at least 5 riders were stuck at various points on the hill, i got stuck between my bike n another guys bike and this other guys bike was resting on my bike and another guys bike was totally turned in the wrong direction, guys were swearing n riders trying to pass us fell as well and another bunch of riders unable to pass this human tangle waited at the foot of the hill. guys steping n riding over each other's bikes trying to get traction! i would get up and this other guy trying to squeeze past would clip my handlebar and i went down, n he fell futher up too!
in the end the only way i made it up the hill was with some1 pushing behind.
it was awful, but now when im feeling clean n comfy at home i think it should have been a pretty entertaining sight.

i think dirtbikers are a dangerous and loony bunch, dragging 100+kg objects up steep slippery hills only to fall and have about another 160kg roll over them. :eek: :p

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Boy, I can appreciate your situation. One time I was at an enduro in Northern Californa, where the dust is like talcum powder. I came upon an uphill with a bunch of riders sitting at the bottom. I assumed that there was a check comming up and they were waiting because they were ahead of their minute, so I rode into the cloud of dust covering the hill. Much to my surprise there was a pile of riders in that dust cloud. Lucky for them, I was on an XR 100 because I had unknowinly used them for traction to get to the top of the hill. :eek:

Just last December a few DRN members got together at Gorman and Backbone trail gave us quite a workout
http://www.smartgirlsracing.com/drn.htm

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun...keep up the good work.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Wroof, how did the rest of the race go? Was it a different track from normal? (I can't think of any hills with those sorts of problems, and it's always me on the ground - I know I'll stuff up if I go to pass someone on a hill, and that'll be my problem).
Michelle

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
michelle
i wasnt riding on the track much that day.:think
i got stuck and missed the checked flag at moto1 and didnt start for moto2. got unstuck during like the last 5min of moto2.because i DNF boths motos i didnt qualify for the last moto!i was dead last but when i saw the 1lap board then the checkered flag i was so happy! silly eh. :confused:

yeap it was a new track abit futher up north. it was supposed to be the old school kind of mx track but there wasnt enough time to do the jumps. so we just had lots of up n downhills and off cambers. me and my friends made a pact that if it rained we'd all just go somewhere else n ride, but u know how it is with races, when we got there we would just get drawn in n end up racing.

i loved being at the starting gate and getting all freaked out by 15 other guys bigger than me all pinning their throttles like crazy. my elbows got clipped by a couple of riders handlebar, and had to try my best not to get pushed off line and into a ditch. my secret weapon? shout or scream at them. :p then you can see their helmets turn in ur direction, then you move in for the kill and gas it, viola you reach the corner before them!

thats all for the muddy slippery race! cant remember much, still having that post-race effect

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, everybody heard my Muddy Butt HS story. There’s some pretty intimidating uphills in that race. One particular one kicked my butt for the better part of half an hour. It was a narrow line up a very rooty hill with somewhat slippery wet dirt—not quite mud. There was a drier, less rooty line off to the left but you had to curve around a stump to get to it so I took the straighter line. I was actually doing ok, feathering the clutch in 2nd gear, and not even spinning much—when I accidentally, due to poor foot position on the pegs, hit neutral. :mad: So I clicked down into first and spun and fell. Well I spent forever on that stupid hill, getting the bike worked around to where I could reach the kickstarter and fire it up again, try to slip the clutch and either stall, loop out or just spin. I tried to walk it up, slipping the clutch—no luck. I FINALLY managed to get up there, lugging in 2nd and dogpaddling over the roots. I looked like a fool.

TGilliam

Mar 3, 2001
Well, I suppose I should add my stories about uphills from the Renfro Valley Kentucky Dual Sport Ride. I know, I know, dual sport rides are usually easy, but believe me, this one is rated challenging to difficult and they mean it! :eek: There are some of the rockiest, gnarliest uphills you have ever seen.

We started the run, and things were looking pretty good. My TTR was humming and I was loving my new 150 hop up kit. Then, my husband and I came to the fork in the trail where we chose challenging or easier route. Of course we chose challenging :scream: Here we go, single track, steep uphill and rocky! I was doing okay, until I came to a rocky shelf. Gunned my little blue baby, hit the rock, and she reared up right out from under me. TTR went to the left over the cliff and hung in a tree branch. Thank goodness I went the other direction. Hubby came back looking for me and there I am standing in the middle of the trail and no bike. I pointed to the bike-bearing limb and He and another guy who graciously stopped fished the bike out for me.

Bottom line, it was one of the best weekends I've ever had! ;)

Top Bottom