Slipping tyre, even with rim lock

TS2DR4

Jun 7, 2001
Hi guys, need some help here.
Had no idea why my rear tyre's been slipping on the rim all the time. Not only on my RMX250, even my old TS200 also faced this same problem.
No, it's not the same rim, tho they're both Excel Tagasago rims. Is it the rim lock that's not working (they are some Taiwan brand i think), or was it the way I ride?
Oh by the way, I dun go below 15psi while riding, and it still slips.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Did you mount the tire yourself? Did you use some petroleum based lube to mount the tire? Do you ride in rocky terrain? Hope I can help but I need more info?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Try two rim locks. If the hole is not there already, just drill one the same size as the other.

TS2DR4

Jun 7, 2001
Yup, I mount the tires myself with help of the proper machine. You made a point there, could be the light gearbox oil I usually apply to the beads during installation... :bang:

Had thought of adding another rim lock, but would be better if I can do with one.

My ridings are done mostly on mild MX circuits in Malaysia, Singapore do not have a proper track. Only suspicious sections would be the
-flat landings (from probly 9ft up)
-and mini (1&1/2 ft tall) whoops.
Reason being, I gas it when landing and when bumping thru the mini whoops. Also, had a habit of semi-wheelie'ing thru braking bumps, puddles and potholes..

Are these cause for concern?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The lubricant is my thought. I use mild dishwashing soap and water. Also, your wheel locks should have rough edges facing the same direction of tire rotation. Then, the rough edges dig into the rubber if the tire tries to slip.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't put any lubricant within 6 inches either side of the rim locks. I always start putting the tires on at the rim locks, so there is no need for any lubricant there, anyway.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I will bet it is the cheap rim lock. I had the same problem on my CR. Tried different things, and even considered 2 locks. The only thing that worked was changing to a good quality rim lock. Problem solved. Oh, by the way, I use window cleaner (like Windex) to lube the bead during installation. It works well, and has no oil to help the tire slip after install.

TS2DR4

Jun 7, 2001
Thanks for the inputs, they'll be great help when I install a new rubber for this weekend's ride. :ride:

P.S. Oh by the way, I always thought the light lube on the beads was to allow the tire to sit to the rim fully. Sometimes when I mount the tire without lube, the beads refused to pop out onto the rim edge.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
That is why I use the window cleaner with ammonia in it. It is very slippery when it's wet. But no slipping when dry. I also run the tire pressure to around 40psi to help seat the bead.

Top Bottom