Slips

Jan 24, 2004
:ugg:

SLIPS, SLIPS!
BROKE MY ARM
April 15, 2004

51 years old and never a broken bone….. But the surgeon, Dr. Sword in Hurst, said I have made up for it bigtime.

I was riding at Mosier Valley Thursday the 15th. It was about 7pm. I went up the "mountain" as my boy calls it. Went down the other side then uphill on the first jump. I had waited for most folks to leave before I started because I don’t like getting run over.

I was having so much fun. A kid stopped right in the tabletop of the second jump. Bad place to stop but I safely avoided him to his right. I think he was riding a 230 fourstroke Honda. Reason I think so was I had noticed it before my group was allowed to go.

Anyway, if you know Mosier, I went down the next straight then up that hill that has the neat bermed turn to the left and downhill. There are two smallish downhill jumps. I am careful on both of them because the second makes me "reach" for the ground. Since it’s downhill it takes longer to land so I was being nice and patient.

I landed really nice! I was already planning the right hand berm to the next hill. Then disaster struck. That kid must have taken off right behind me and have been using me for passing practice or maybe simply trying to hurt me. There were no other riders within 100 yards of us and he landed on me off the second jump. It was sick because he had tons of room to land on either side of me and of course in front or rear.

But he landed on my left leg from behind me. My left leg is not broken but looks bad. Its swollen twice normal, has every color imaginable and no feeling in the knee part.

I went down instantly and heard my right arm shatter. Oh dear Jesus did it hurt! Looking at my bike I think the front brake lever somehow leveraged my wrist between the lever and throttle. Shattered wrist and dislocated. Radius pulled out of the elbow socket and one of the two knobs shattered (using the surgeon’s terms). Then the whole mess was pushed to the other side of my arm.

I was trying hard to crawl off the track but kept collapsing in a heap. LOL I did NOT feel like getting landed on again, please trust me! The idiot kid fell and I was asking him to please help me get off the track because he got up ok. He jumped on his bike and left me laying in the track. During the rest of the ordeal he never came over, or asked to help etc.

Thankfully Jeff the paramedic came in a mule and splinted my arm. A friend whose son was riding with my son took me to Harris HEB hospital there in Bedford. My wife is a nurse there so that’s a good place for me.

The pain was real bad because of the dislocations. Dr. Sword set it around 11pm. It was a long four hours but they gave me demoral and phrenegrin shots and that helped.

I missed the dallas sx race Saturday nite. Dr. Sword pinned the wrist yesterday. He said it will be a long time ( around 6 months) till he will remove the bone parts from the elbow. He says it’s tricky because a little bone is still left etc. and he wants to keep that.

My wife wants me to sell the bike. But I was having fun so I don’t know.

I wanted to post on the forum cause I miss riding already. Someone please blow up a berm and yell "Slips!" if u get a chance.

Thanks,
Ron
:thumb:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
That was hard to read! Heal up man.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
then go crack the head of the kid who landed on you and would not even bother to help you off the track. That makes me mad just thinking about it. Get well man!

DPW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2000
slo' mo said:
then go crack the head of the kid who landed on you and would not even bother to help you off the track. That makes me mad just thinking about it. Get well man!

Could not agree more.....!!

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
That is one of the worst stories I have ever read. I am sorry you got hurt and even more sorry that someone who rides dirt bikes would act that way. Just remember, what comes around goes around and he will get it worse in the end.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Thanks for the replies. Today is one week since the track idjit took me out. It has been "interesting".

Dr. pinned the wrist Monday. Says the elbow had more motion than he thought.

I have developed a life-long hatred of pain pills but cant sleep without them ( yet ).

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Wow, that sucks! Atleast it sounds like your starting to get along pretty well now. I'm always amazed at how pain pills work. They dull the pain but cause so many other side effects that its almost not worth it. I thought i did pretty good not using them other than the day of my knee surgerys. But when i broke the ankle i had to use them almost a week before i could tolerate the pain.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Slips sorry to hear that. I ride Mosier also, love the track but it can get a little crowded and sometimes I worry also. I entered my first race since 1981 (I'm 45) last November and a guy cleaned me out bad. I thought I broke my femur and both hands at first. I ended up tearing two rotator cuff tendons and broke my pinkie. I'm riding again after a month or two of Physical Therapy. It will go by faster than you think, hang in there... Maybe try Greenville when you get back, there are about 5-10 folks on the track max and it's open most of the time.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Sweet. Mosier is four miles from orr home. Looking for a well maintained, non-suicidal track now. Bill if u would please keep your ears open. I still dont know the name of the guy that hit me. He probably weighs 170 or less and I put some other info on the first post. Wanted to go today and start checking but was not up to it quite yet. (edited cell phone # out. If u need it let me know and will post it again).

Thanks, Ron

Last edited:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
How many Berms you want w/your name on them.. Take care, heal up fast and dont ever give up this sport, too many good people and good times out there :thumb:
Rick

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Keeps us posted on how things are going for you. Do the Physical Therapy they tell you to do. When you heal up let us know and I'll meet you at Greenville with my friends (old guys also). I call it my personal MX track - I have been there a bunch of times when it was just me and 1 or 2 other guys.

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Hey Slips I think I was there that night and saw you laying on the track...sorry to hear it was someone elses fault that makes it tough. So heal fast, keep the bike and watch all the other idiot "b" riders, I wish I was good enough to ride the A class so you dont have watch EVERONE. I think they should change the B class to D class for dangerous.

Heal up bro and if you find out who it was I like to serve MT's berm buster sandwich.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom