jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Ahh riding season is approaching me slowly but surely and I'm already chomping at the bit. This Western PA winter has been the worst in years, snow on the ground almost constantly since November and bitter cold temperatures. Just too wet, muddy, and cold to get any use of the bike. So that means a whole lot of tinkering in the garage but even that has been limited since our kerosene heater went out and the garage has been nothing but an ice box since.

Well anyway last fall I had a little crash on my last real ride. I didn't do any major damage but I think I got some dirt into my throttle tube. There was some dirt smashed into a small rip in the right side grip so I'm thinking some of it had to made its way in there. Well the last time I rode was December 23, it was pretty cold maybe in the mid 20s and I can remember the throttle not returning real well at all. Even sticking once actually. The twist itself was not returning the full way on its own power, it was getting stuck. Now I don't think I bent my throttle tube, I surely hope not I was thinking that maybe the dirt that got in there is clogging things up.

So I figure when the weather breaks that's gonna be a job to do. I just wanted to ask some basic questions. Is that probably the problem or is it more than likely bent? There is no way to salvage the grips after I take them off to get at the throttle tube correct? Is there anything else to use besides buying grip glue to hold on the grips? I do also plan on wiring them. How difficult is it from that point to just do a full cable lube. In my Dirt Rider magazine they had the 55 top maintenence tips and I was going to try to do most of them before the riding season started. I wanted to set my sag, adjust my suspension for my bodyweight at 195, and get this throttle coming back properly.

Any tips, advice, suggestions, or anything would be appreciated...Thanks.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
JayPro55,
If your grip has a tear in it and the throttle is slow, i would take it apart and clean up the area between the tube and the bars.. Shouldn't have too take the grips off for this.. If they are torn bad, would be a good idea too replace them.. Best bet is too use a grip glue.. Most shops should carry a cable lubing set up, it isn't hard too do and is pretty self explanatory.. its easy too do, disconnect the cable from the throttle tube and hook it in the cleaning jig and squirt in some cable lube too flush/lube the cable..
Hope this helps you,
Rick

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Oh wow this sounds easier than I thought. I can access the throttle tube without taking the grip off? Great I just didn't know where. The hole is not large at all, not even visibible but enough to let some dirt through. And how much is this cable lubing thing? I assumed you had to pull the cable through or something lol. I heard just regular grease like the Bel-Ray stuff I have works good. Is there a substitution for this device? Thanks though for your speedy reply.

Tweak

Feb 19, 2003
you read the other thread about the tube being jammed into the end of the bar didnt you?
If not check it, but basically loosen up the two bolts and adjust the throttle tube so its got a little play for the next crash... Its kind of a tip to keep you going in a race, so it stands a better chance of surviving a crash without binding.

If thats not it, then maybe cable is bent, or dirt in the tube, i would think you could feel that... or if the bike sat with gas in it for the winter, could be gummed up.

Thats my thoughts.

Luft

Dec 24, 2002
Take the throttle apart and take a good look at where everything goes. Spray everything out good with contact cleaner. Put a little Vaseline on the bar where the throttle tube goes. The throttle should snap back. Remove the throttle cable from the bike and clean it out with contact cleaner. Turn it upside down and lube it with tri flow. The luber is about $5.00.

CR-For-Ever

Feb 25, 2002
If it's plastic it's not un common for it to devlolop a crack specially after a hard crash.

That's what happend to mine and it would slowly return back to position it got so bad that it started sticking I replaced it I need to get a Metal one.

Top Bottom