small dent on side of cylinder block(water pump side)??

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
hey guys.
did a rebuild on my bike. when putting it all back together, i noticed a dent/chip in the metal of the main cylinder block where the head gasket goes(around the cam chain tunnel area).
in the photo is where the chip/dent is exactly. its not the exact photo of my cylinder on the bike but where the red circle is in the photo is exactly where the dent is and where it ends. the rest of the metal surface behind it is fine.

it's definitely deep enough to get a finger nail in it and deep enough to be able to seal up with putty or something. the cylinder head with the head gasket has been torqued down to spec but the head gasket hasn't quite bonded into the dent fully.

im just wondering, should i bother to even get this fixed or not?(i can take the cylinder back apart if need be).
and is there any way dust could get in, perhaps from underneath the head gasket/where the chip is(where the gasket doesn't quite seal with the uneven/dented surface)?
sorry if its a silly question but just wanting to make sure. i want no further issues with the bike.

Bike is a KTM EXC 2004

Cylinder_Dent.jpg

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you are talking about the small red spot it doesn't really show a dent. If you put the head on without the head gasket, is there a gap where the dent is? If so, you may want to take it to a machine shop and have them surface it.

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
lol that wasn't the exact photo of the dent.
i put the red dot there to help others get some sort of idea of where the dot is located.

the head gasket and cylinder head is already on the bike and bolted up and torqued down so im not sure if the dot is still there without the gasket on.

the below picture isn't from the bike exactly....but this is exactly what the chip/divot looks like and exactly how deep and how big it is.

the divot goes from the very outside edge of the cylinder where the red dot is in the original photo from post #1... to about half way(width wise/toward the cam chain tunnel area).
behind it(where the divot ends and where there is about half a width of flat even surface), the head gasket seals perfectly and the surface is flat.

IMG_20101218_011612b.jpg

there is no oil leaks or anything leaking out from there so spose i won't even worry about it.

Top Bottom