mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i got this in my email today. it's a pretty accurate description of my youth.

1. You can name everyone you graduated with.
> > > 2. You know what FFA is.
> > > 3. You ever went to parties at a pasture,
> > > barn, or in the middle of a dirt road.
> > > 4. Your idea of a FUN weekend was riding around
> > > parking lots because that is where EVERYBODY was.
> > > 5. Your idea of an EXCITING weekend
> > > was watching a fight in the parking lot.
> > > 6. You ever went cow-tipping or snipe hunting.
> > > 7. School gets canceled for city, county, or state events.
> > > 8. You were ever in the Homecoming parade.
> > > 9. You have ever gone home for Homecoming.
> > > 10. Everyone thought it was really cool to date
> > > someone from the neighboring town.
> > > 11. You had senior skip day.
> > > 12. The whole school went to the same party after graduation.
> > > 13. You don't give directions by street names,
> > > but instead, like this:
> > > Turn right by Mark's house, go two blocks east past
> > > Henderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field.
> > > 14. The country club golf course had only 9 holes.
> > > (Or there wasn't even one.)
> > > 15. You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

> > > 16. The people in the city dress funny, then your town
> > > picks up on the trend a few years later.
> > > 17. The football coach suggested that you haul hay
> > > for the summer to get stronger.
> > > 18. Directions are given using "the" stoplight as a reference.
> > > 19. The city council meets at the coffee shop.
> > > 20. Your "letter jacket" was worn after your 19th birthday.
> > > 21. You decide to walk somewhere for exercise
> > > and 5 people pull over and ask if you need a ride.
> > > 22. Your teachers call you by your older siblings' names.
> > > 23. Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.
> > > 24. The closest Taco Bell or Burger King
> > > is at least 30 miles away.
> > > 25. So is the closest shopping mall.
> > > 26. You have a good laugh reading this because
> > > you know they're all true.
> > > 27. Then you forward it to everyone who lives in your town
> > > (because you know them all)!!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Let's see, been cow tippin, friends get called by siblings names (I don't have any older siblings, but my brother gets called Eric), FFA - Future Farmers of America, there is a senior skip day, and we get a day off of school for the State Fair (however, on Fair Day, we have football practice. Oh the joys of AAAAA football in Texas :) ).

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
You ever went cow-tipping or snipe hunting.

Hmmm, the cow-tipping thing seemed to be a big city thing. I heard it a few times from the "Overland Park" types and/or in San Diego. Funny thing is, we raised thousands of head of cattle and rodeo stock growing up--never thought of trying to TIP a cow. :think

Thought it would be funny to get one of these idiots claiming that they've tipped cows, to come on out and try it. Listen guys & gals--& we'll find out who's who here---you CANNOT TIP a cow. And what the hell does that mean anyway? 1st, cows do NOT sleep standing up. 2nd, they have senses that are so exquisite, you couldn't get near one to even try. EVER. 3rd, if you tried to push one over, you'd probably get your nuts kicked.

Anyone thinks they'd like to try it, come on out. We'll give her a go. Ever startled a momma cow and her calf? :p You'd better be on a fast bike.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Sounds like my town used to be. Now, it's growing by leaps and bounds. We're getting our first stoplight this summer (badly needed), and already have Burger King and McDonalds (YUCK!). :uh: We also have our share of punks wandering the streets, thanks to a police department who's more interested in clocking radar on the interstate than protecting the citizens :mad: But it still beats the hell out of living in the big city, been there, hated that! :whiner:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by nephron

Hmmm, the cow-tipping thing seemed to be a big city thing. I heard it a few times from the "Overland Park" types and/or in San Diego. Funny thing is, we raised thousands of head of cattle and rodeo stock growing up--never thought of trying to TIP a cow. :think

Amen to that Nephron, I grew up outside the bustling metropolis of Ellis, KS-zip code e-i-e-i-o. The list describes my town to a tee-except of course the tipping part. We had a dairy farm that had the "tip-proof" cows I suppose. I miss it quite a bit.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Hey, thats my childhood(I was an aggie in school, and a "jock")because in my class if you showed up for football you automatically started. Also, going to town meant driving to richmond, Mo.(10 miles away). Driving to the city meant driving to Kansas City-50 miles away and only for special occasions. There were more people in the Homecoming parade than watched it!

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
1. You can name everyone you graduated with. *and the class before and after mine*
> > > 2. You know what FFA is. *I was in it for one year*
> > > 3. You ever went to parties at a pasture,
> > > barn, or in the middle of a dirt road. *every weekend*
> > > 4. Your idea of a FUN weekend was riding around
> > > parking lots because that is where EVERYBODY was. *commuter lots are the best!*
> > > 5. Your idea of an EXCITING weekend
> > > was watching a fight in the parking lot. *or starting one*
> > > 6. You ever went cow-tipping or snipe hunting. *rural legends at their best!*
> > > 7. School gets canceled for city, county, or state events. *but never for snow, our buses were 4x4's!*
> > > 8. You were ever in the Homecoming parade. *on a quad!*
> > > 9. You have ever gone home for Homecoming. *I was the DJ*
> > > 10. Everyone thought it was really cool to date
> > > someone from the neighboring town. *the chicks from Holden were hot!*
> > > 11. You had senior skip day. *went to Truman Lake and it was still flooded....Class of 93'*
> > > 12. The whole school went to the same party after graduation. *mine!*
> > > 13. You don't give directions by street names,
> > > but instead, like this:
> > > Turn right by Mark's house, go two blocks east past
> > > Henderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field. *Don't forget to turn left where old man Peterson's tractor burned up*
> > > 14. The country club golf course had only 9 holes. *and they were made by gophers*

> > > 15. You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. *that is a bad one......true.....but bad!*

> > > 16. The people in the city dress funny, then your town
> > > picks up on the trend a few years later. *I moved there from the city so I was a trend setter*
> > > 17. The football coach suggested that you haul hay
> > > for the summer to get stronger. *My coach suggested eating hay too*
> > > 18. Directions are given using "the" stoplight as a reference. *sign, no light, just one stop sign*
> > > 19. The city council meets at the coffee shop. *all two of them*
> > > 20. Your "letter jacket" was worn after your 19th birthday.*okay, I never got the jacket*
> > > 21. You decide to walk somewhere for exercise
> > > and 5 people pull over and ask if you need a ride. *even if you are riding a bike!*
> > > 22. Your teachers call you by your older siblings' names. *and you answer to it because they were the good kid*
> > > 23. Your teachers remember when they taught your parents. *when he was in kindergarten*
> > > 24. The closest Taco Bell or Burger King
> > > is at least 30 miles away. *they just put a Taco Bell Express in about a mile away. My how times change*
> > > 25. So is the closest shopping mall. *closest mall is still 60 miles*
> > > 26. You have a good laugh reading this because
> > > you know they're all true. *I think I proved that*
> > > 27. Then you forward it to everyone who lives in your town
> > > (because you know them all)!! *But they don't have e-mail!*

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
>>>The local police don't bother pulling you over they just give you your warning/ticket at church on Sunday.
>>>Your friend is the Chief's son and takes care of your Sunday "tithings" for you.
>>>The lady at the candy store tells you you can pay next week after you collect for the newspapers you deliver.
>>>You know everyone from your graduating class plus the classes before and after yours.
>>>You could carry a pocket knife to school for cutting your apple and not have the SWAT team called.
>>>The new police cruiser gets taken for a joy ride when the officer leaves it running while getting a few doughnuts at the bakery and he just goes back in and gets a couple more and a large coffee and waits for it to come back. :p

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
You forgot:

Never had a pizza delivered.

This is the main reason why I will never move back to the country.
But I will say as a kid it was great having land where I could just hop on my dirtbike and go riding any time I wanted.

Now I have to hook-up the trailer, load bike and equipment, drive to the track, unload.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I get delivered pizza all the time......as long as my wife feels like picking it up on her way home. :confused:

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Always knew where the car keys were......Just left them in the car!

We used to call the strip the drag.

FFA--The best class in high school except for the blue corduroy jackets. What were we thinking?..Chapter Conducting and grass judging were events you could leave school for.

Getting rained on at the party in the cotton field and it turned into a drunk mudfest! Sun is coming up kegs long since floated and people are still stuck.
Driving around the drag collecting donations for the keg party.
Driving around the drag with a keg asking about safe a pasture to party in.
Getting shot at with rock salt for partying in the wrong pasture!

Getting chased by a mean bull just before dawn trying to find those shrooms you read about.
I rode a horse through the drive thru at Sonic.

Gun racks in the back windows of pick ups were just where you put your gun.
Everyone went to the fair
Fourth of July at the park

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Originally posted by BigLou
How about (gasp) Square Dancing in gym class? :scream:
Never mind at gym class. . . how about belonging to, and being captian of, a square dance troupe?! :scream: My god!!! What was I thinking?!!!
I too grew up on a small dairy farm. Never tipped a cow in my life. :think
If you were in FFA you were allowed to carry a buck knife on your belt in school.
When I moved from my parents house I had to learn to lock the doors and windows on my house. I also had to remeber to take my wallet and keys from my car when I parked it for the night.

Last edited:
B

biglou

In a bad snow storm, kids would drive their farm tractors to high school (no kidding). Also, you could bring your shotgun in for show and tell (again, no kidding).

AND, they had to widen Main St. so they could paint the line down the center! :D

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
>>>ALL (i.e. both) the streets "downtown" were one way.
>>> The SCHOOL supplied BOWS & ARROWS for gym class but you could bring your own.

Heck the "town" we live near now doesn't even have a Dairy Queen and in Texas they are in every one horse town. Maybe weshould go get a horse first. :confused:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Opening day of hunting season was a day off from school.
Usually late for first period in October due to hunting season.
Never owned a car, only a pickup, and it had (still has!) a gunrack (and you used to be able to leave a rifle in it!)
Always packed a pocketknife, and whittled during lunch hour.
Had to change out of your workboots for gym class (in elementary school!)
Catching hell for having your compound bow turned up too high for the targets in gym class (thanks for reminding me, Pat!)

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
You know you're growing up in a small town, when the town cop (1 cop) delivers your mail. And when you do go to court (for riding downtown on your bike) you can get a good deal on plumbling. The town judge is also the local plumber.

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by Patman
[BHeck the "town" we live near now doesn't even have a Dairy Queen and in Texas they are in every one horse town. Maybe weshould go get a horse first. :confused: [/B]

Hey, good point. Who stole our DQ!

Our Chamber of Commerce major fund raiser is the annual Ranch Rodeo, which until last year was held at, gasp, South Fork Ranch. Yes, that one if your old enough to remember it.

Someone shoot me, please.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Cow Tipping

My dad used to get these wayward kids from Philly that would spend the summer on our farm. My brother I would terrorize them for 2 months & then they would go home. The most common request from them would be to go 'tipping, so we would get them up late at night & take them to the cow pasture. All the cows would be laying down, so we would take the person to the "other" pasture. The one with the bulls :debil: As soon as the person was in a non sheltered portion of the pasture Robbie & I would take off running in different directions & wake up Charlie the Charolie (sp).

This usually ended the "cow tipping" requests. One kid though, decided he would try it on his own. Have you any idea what a foot looks like after a full sized cow has put it's weight on it? That kid lasted 2 days on our farm.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I used to spend the summers at my grand parents farm in Dickson, TN. You couldn't get pizza delivered out to the farm...because, by the time it got there, it'd be stone cold.

That list describes Dickson to a Tee. I remember when Dickson got their Wal-Mart. And, I remember when they got their first fast food chain restaraunt...DQ doesn't count, they always had one of those. I think the first was was McDonald's out on the by-pass.

Don't all fast food restaraunts in small towns get built on the by-pass?

Top Bottom