SMB-Racing team harscramble ride report.

Jewell

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Just got back from SMB's. Thanks alot dude, it was truly a great time. I can't wait untill the spring session. I must say these guys did a great job making sure everyone had a good ride. They had flagers, all necessary arrows and marking, and a absolutly terrific track. The extra added up hill section was alittle outa hand but made for one heck of a photo op. SMB, I hope to see some pictures of my bike upside down in "Jewell's Gulley" sometime soon. Again thanks to everyone who help organize and to all the great riders who got in my way.:aj:

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
well on behalf of Team SMB i want to thank everyone for coming out to have some fun w/ us today. we couldn't have asked for better weather, at least the 1st half hour, if was the last hour that was hairy.hope everyone had a good time, and maybe someone will post some experiances on here and we can explain this to everyone.:aj:

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
This is long, sorry....

Well after getting lost for about 45 minutes (thanks for the bad directions, Jeff! ;)) We finally rolled into the lot at around 11:20 - only about a four hour drive!

Signed my life away and parked the borrowed Excursion with the bikes. As squad_3670 (Billy) and his better half got the camp site (unecessary as it turns out) set up, I scrambled to get geared up, gased up, and to the starting line before they got underway without me...

I was number 09A on the KLX300. The first lap went great! I passed two riders! A guy on an '81 PE175, as he was laying on his side on the first uphill, and another fella (Shaunboy maybe?) that was stuck in a mudhole. Of course, he passed me after I stalled out a few turns later - it was inevitible anyhow.

The course was challenging when it was dry. When it got wet - look out! As I approached the wicked uphill on the backside, I saw my buddy Curt (weemus) already hung-up there. I already had myself convinced I wouldn't make it before I even tried, and I didn't. I avoided "Jewell's Gulley" and got back down the hill and the hell outa there...

Completed the rest of the course with Curt and made it back to the finish. Off Billy (squad-3670) went on the RMX. Curt's partner Andy, who hadn't ridden for 10 years, packed up and went home while no one was watching after a tough half a lap. Even Billy felt sorry for him.

After about throwing up, myself and Curt decided to head back out for our second lap. I think the leaders were on lap 4 or 5 by then. Well I ended up about plowing a tree sliding on a downhill, about looping out on an uphill with my front wheel ending up on top of a fence, and crashing when my front end washed out on an off-camber turn. After all that, I was still way out in front of Curt! All right! That's when I saw him cutting the course and getting in front of me... Well shortly after that, we called it quits without completing the second lap.

After the race, we all hung out in Jeff's basement talking and drinking for a while. Some guys took off for a quick ride in Richland. By then I had my share of mud and my throbbing wrist helped me decide to sit that one out. The weather continued to get worse - windy, rainy and colder. We decided to pack up and head home around 5PM.

Thanks to the smb boys, Jeff, Jason, and Daniel, for putting on a much more organized event than I expected. I expected a trail ride and got a real race. They tricked me! :eek: Also, thanks to Dennis (who's bad wheel bearings turned him into a spectator) for all the wing sauce and salsa!

It was great to meet everyone and put faces with screen names - and man some of you guys are freakin' fast! Can't wait until next time! :aj:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm glad to hear everyone had a great time, I was worried that the track wouldn't be challenging enough or that we wouldn't have a very good turnout. However, contrary to my worries we had an EXCELLENT turnout and a great track for everyone. Here are the team standings for those of you who may have missed it:

1st place went to Team 02
2nd place was a tie between teams 01, 04, 07, 11 and 08
3rd place was Team 03
4th was teams 05 and 09
team 06, who after losing his partner to a broken chain and would be the ironman of the event didn't complete lap one.

Despite a little bit of foul weather it was a great day, couldn't have asked for a better group of guys. Richland was excellent as it always is in the rain, another successful hour of trail riding in the books, I'd like to comment the two KTM guys who went with us (no not jason or daniel or bill) but the two I hadn't ridden with until yesterday, that was an excellent launch on bob hill to whomever did it.

Jewell, sorry I wasn't there when you guys left but here's a nice photo of jewell's gulley for ya ;)
(click me) Jewell's Gulley

Last edited:

Jewell

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Oh wow!! That would be it. Problem was, in that picture I was already situated and making my escape. Before that picture was taken I had my bike upside down, leaking masses of gas all over the place. Not to menchion falling face first into the (much deeper than it looks) hole. Being awake for 30 or so straight hours makes it kinda hard to pick up your bike. Curse that hill. Next time team 03 a/b will take it all!! Please tell me again, who was my team mate, I never can remember his name. Good guy though.

P.S. Taking another look at the photo, that is me resting my head on the handle bars.

For all those that want to know, riding at Jeffs = :aj: .

Last edited:

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Remember what they said about any Race in Southern Ohio in the Rain being in the top 10 hardest rides. Well this was it! That stupid hill!! I couldn't walk up that thing. Great ride though!! My face is looking kind of rough from that low branch! Hightlights:
Daves Radiator shroud laying on the side of the trail
Someone saying all they could see in the gully was a head sticking up (Jewell)
The Big Bull staring at you as you approached the fence daring you to enter.
The killer, a la Blackwater 100 Mudhole
Jewell and his buddy passed out in their car after the race.
Me Brake Checking Jason (I swear it was an accident)
Great Launch on Bob Hill (I can't remember your name either)
Dennis is NO SlowPoke in his Truck. He drives that V-10 Ram like a SportsCar!
Jason's buddies getting his truck stuck and sliding into a fence post.
Pizza and Beer

There's a lot more, but I have to get to work now.

Good time Guys!! Thanks for setting this up.

Squad_3670

Apr 5, 2001
I'd also like to say 'ditto' in thanking the SMB's for a good (if wet) time. Wish we could've gotten there earlier to see the course in a more arid condition. Although I must say that when Jeff lamented "I was worried the course would be too easy", my jaw dropped. Dry as a bone that was the perfect course but with my lack of mud skills, it was a little too much when the rain started.
I'd also like to thank Jewell for telling me to just give up on that last hill by Jewell's Gulley; he probably saved me much time and pain. I missed the upside-down bike by seconds but took his word on it...
Anyway, it was nice to meet you all even if it was for a short period of time. Look for JimmyD2 to plan a Wellsville trip in late April or May...

93cr250

Jul 9, 2000
Even thou I only got to have 5-6 runs in the first part for practice, I thought It was cool to here all the up hill and down hill stories. Today I am ordering "2 damn chains" one for the bike and one for back-up. So I don't get stuck watching everyone wanting, to ride even more.

Hope you guys have some more races or rides...
Also Would love to get everyone together for a wellsville ride.

Brian

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
bill, i think u had it out for me when u heard that big 200 coming for ya in that tight section. just to clear somethings up, when bill break checked me he had left 3-5 minutes ahead of me and i still caught him.:p i am really glad everyone showed up for our little ride, and even though they didn't like our little "A" section, i am glad they had fun

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm putting the pics up in my gallery here on DRN, if I can get them all chopped down. You might try checking on them from time to time as I figure out who's in the pics and upload them. Some didn't turn out so good but most did, I don't know several of the guys though so help me out if you know them.

Al

Jan 11, 2000
launching on bob hill...

That would be me (Al) that launched up that hill...I didn't plan on getting that much air, but it was fun. I planned on stopping once I got to the top of that first part and just come back down, but then decided to go on... but after changing my mind I didn't have the momentum to make it up those rocks. So, of course I had to stop and fall over. I've not ridden much around there so it was fun. The rain was not that bad since it was not cold.

I had a blast at the race. My partner and I were team 11. He has not ridden in a while but still had a good time. His elbow hurts after crashing on that hill I jumped up. You guys put on a great race and trail ride, I appreciate your hard work. My 2 other buddies were team 2, there just stupid fast..

Bill Hibbs...that was me that just saw a head sticking up by that hill. That's all I could see as I started to go up it. I was thinking "man, that sucks...I wonder where his bike is?"...hopefully he and he bike are okay. I also seen somebody crash into a tree going down one of the downhills, it was not pretty :scream: I think he was on a suzuki. Bill, did I ride with you one time at Wayne a year or so ago??? You crashed and hurt your leg pretty bad? I think we met at Bob Evans off 33?

Maybe I'll see you guys at some harescrambles sometime. Or maybe we can all hook up again to ride. I won't be at Honda Hills this weekend because I'm going to Atlanta to race the national enduro. About 100miles long I'm told, so it should be fun :eek:

Thanks again
Al

Last edited:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Good to see your input on the race Al, it was great to meet ya. Anytime you guys want to trail ride just post something on here, we're always up for a ride and (usually) aren't afraid to travel. The guy who you saw hit the tree was probably djcash2000 (dave) on his DRZ. I'm trying to get in shape for the enduro's, but I'm afraid that I'm still quite slow and spodely as I've only been back in the game for about 2.5 years now. Who was the other KTM rider that came along for the trail ride? I've got a picture or two of him but no name to put with it.

Al

Jan 11, 2000
pictures

smb,

The other ktm guy is Brent. He's from dayton. I don't think he's online on DRN. He told me he got stuck in a few places during the race. I was nice to him and told him he's the reason we did not take first :p (just kidding).

If your willing to try an enduro, you should try the enduro in chillicothe on april 28th. They have a C class and I think you would do just fine. Best part is the half way point for gas is back in the parking lot, so if you feel like stopping your already at your truck. You could get your buddies to go and all ride on a minute together, which makes it more fun. If your up for it, let me know and I will get you info on the race. It should be a good turn out, being the first enduro of the year.

Al

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm definitely going to try one, chilicothe might be the ticket for me. El Pres is a member of Appalachian Dirt Riders so we usually help out with the little raccoon classic and the wellston club run, I thought about doing the club run down here but with the halfway point at chili being back at the trucks it sounds like a good way to wuss out :confused:

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I don't think that was me. I never crash. ;) Seriously though, I'm not really sure. We're usually pretty friendly in the parking lot and many guys join our group. Our one buddy knows Wayne really well. Your friend thought he knew me too. I don't remember meeting at Bob Evans though. Great ride though!

dko36

Jan 14, 2002
Let me add my thanks to the SMB guys for putting on a great event! Especially Jeff since he did all the work (just kidding Jason).

We had a great time and I'm sure we'll see you down there again. Next time we're going to Richland I'll let you know or just ride on over.

Al, I'm not one of you're buddies?

Al

Jan 11, 2000
buddies

Hey Dave!,

Oopps, didn't realize I did that...sorry:( Of course your my buddy, especially since I ride with you more than Gary and Ryan.

I didn't do Reno on Sunday, too lazy. Maybe you and I can team up at the next team HS, if your not riding with Gary or Ryan.

If you feel like going to Atlanta this weekend call me. Were leaving early Sat.

See ya
Al

Top Bottom