smoke coming from side of cylinder..when bike is hot??

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
hi all. i was working on a mates bike today and when we finished working on it and started it up, the bike had a very high idle and we noticed a little bit of smoke coming from around the cylinder or radiator...we aren't sure which one. I turned his idle screw down a fair notch and it seemed to have stopped the smoke. Sort of came from the bottom of the radiator on the left side(between cylinder and radiator). Could of been the radiator was hot, not too sure.
Im just wondering what could cause that(i was thinking too lean jetting)?? and also, if it's something to really worth worrying about or not or if it's something that could damage the pison, etc?? we turned the bike off right away and it stopped, was only for a few seconds.

I did a service on it, topped up the oil to the correct level as per the manual and topped up radiator coolant as per the manual, replaced spark plug, checked valve clearances, etc and all are fine.

The bike is a 2006 KTM 450 SX-F if anyone is wondering. once again, any help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Too hard to tell from your description.

It could just be smoke from the exhaust not having a good seal, a hole in the exhaust, fluid of some sort dripping on a hot part...

Can you take a picture of where the smoke is coming from?

Without knowing more all I can offer is to inspect everything for any leaks and make sure all the bolts are torqued down correctly.

Good luck.

Ivan

Top Bottom