Smoke coming kips exhaust valve

Tom Dubya

Jul 5, 2009
Hey guys I just got done fixing a coolant leak into my gear oil and when i finally was able to get it cranked up I noticed smoke coming out of the kips exhuast valve. The rod moves freely in and out like it should but the coller that goes into the top end case is loose and that is where the smoke is leaking from. Is this something i need to be concerned with, do i need to get it fixed now or is it ridable.
Its a 93 kdx 200.
Here is a vid. of where i'm talking about. Sorry for the bad quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1wJqzmQTGI
Thanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That silly collar with the one screw that holds it in, no bueno. There's an o-ring on that collar, replace it. I made an aluminum plate with a hole drilled where the set screw goes. It holds the collar much more securely, and I haven't broken my subvalves again since doing this mod. I think when that collar gets offset, it can cause the rod to bind up against the subvalves and sheer the teeth off them. At least, that is my explanation for the failure of my first 3 sets of subvalves.

EYY

May 22, 2010
Julien, so you mean that you used the piece of aluminium plate to support that collar to ensure minimal side play in the shaft?

This sounds like a great idea. I've just purchased new subvalves so this seems like it's the perfect time to give it a go. Disappointingly, I still havent ridden the bike since my purchase in may this year!

Thanks for your inspiration.

Top Bottom