smokeless oil ?

Nov 27, 2010
What do you think of smokeless oil for the KDX (250 in particular) ? Does it help reduce the smoke and deposits ?
Are those oils a good choice for 90's engines or is it that they are not designed for them? What do you recommend , Bel Ray, Castrol, PJ1 ?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I like PJ1, but this is one of many reasons for deposits. It will not stop spooge, and actually may be worse! Vintage Bob

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
"Smokeless" oil is more advertising spin than reality. They'll all produce smoke when burned in a two-stroke engine....some will just produce less.
What would be the advantage of a "smokeless" oil??? Will it result in more performance? Probably not, since the formula would seem to focus on less smoke rather than more protection for the engine. Are you looking to keep the bike cleaner? If so, just wash the bike, put it in your living room, and don't ride it any more.
Easiest way to reduce smoke/grung is to cut the premix's ratio down to about 40-45:1. I wouldn't do it, but I've heard of a lot of folks on this forum who like to run 50:1 and seem to do so without penalty.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002

Actually the easiest way would be to learn how to jet your bike.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The stock jetting on the KDX250 is horribly rich. Not only will it smoke less, but it will run better if you lean the jetting out.

I know jetting recomendations for the 250 have been posted many times. You will need to search to find them, as I can't remember what I used to use off the top of my head.

I think a user blackduc748 had summarized a lot of the jetting and bike set up tips for the KDX250 at one time, and put them on his own webpage. Lots of good stuff there if you can find it.

Nov 27, 2010
I know those oils can't possibly live up to their claims of smokeless combustion, but I am hoping it will reduce the smoke. My bike produces too much of it and even if I get the level down with proper jetting I would want to reduce it even further to the level produced by a scooter.
( so far I am gonna go with the removal of the airbox cover, and tinker with the airscrew and needle as I don't know jack about jets) .

Since going the 4 stroke way , and after all those years I find the smoke ...just not politically correct , plus in town there are too many people staring at me and looking angry. :pissed:

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
GhostofSilverider said:
Since going the 4 stroke way , and after all those years I find the smoke ...just not politically correct , plus in town there are too many people staring at me and looking angry. :pissed:
You got some grouchy people in your town. :rotfl:

Seriously though, I used to use various brands of oil mixed at 32 or 40 to 1, but have switched to Motorex Crosspower 2T mixed at 60 to 1, and my bikes all seem to run about as smokeless as you can get, plus Motorex smells pretty good when it's burning. :nod:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
At 60:1, and no jetting, where does the source of the spooge go to? That is an awful lot of fuel! Ever seen a 4 stroke smoke, it can, and not oil! The smokeless oil used to be mandatory to race indoor mx, it does work. Mechanically in good shape, RODE CORRECTLY, no spooge to cry about. My crap, 20:1, rode correctly, no spooge. At idle speeds for long, spooge city, the same when the bike is cold. After that, nada. If I mounted a boat engine to my bike, I would bump the oil ratio up, and jet it. Dead bikes are no fun!

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Joburble said:
What bikes are you running at 60:1? :yikes:
I run 60 to 1 in my CR85, KDX200, KDX220 and KX250. I run 100 to 1 in my Gas Gas TXT280. :cool:

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Dirtdame said:
I run 60 to 1 in my CR85, KDX200, KDX220 and KX250. I run 100 to 1 in my Gas Gas TXT280. :cool:

That's a little lean for my taste. I'd rather run on the safe side and use a little more oil and risk fouling a plug, than run too lean and have to an entire engine rebuild.

Just my 2 cents

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Acblind said:
That's a little lean for my taste. I'd rather run on the safe side and use a little more oil and risk fouling a plug, than run too lean and have to an entire engine rebuild.

Just my 2 cents
I wouldn't trust just any brand of oil to be run at those ratios. I feel very confident after inspecting some of the engines and finding that they have very low wear on them compared to previous brands and ratios.

But every forum has a 2 stroke oil debate going on it somewhere with people arguing about this and that and scientific findings. People get mad and really take off on each other, but in the end it doesn't matter what you run or like or what ratio you run it at as long as it does what you want it to for your engine. :yeehaw:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008

true that, best practice is to pick your choice of oil, stay with it, jet for your conditions and be happy... :cool:

mine is:
lucas oil
jetting: perfect (for me)can't remember now

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The power loss off bottom has to be tremendous. The manual on the Gasgas calls for 100:1? And this is all done with out jetting? And where does all the extra gas go? Dropping from 20:1 to 32:1 has a staggering effect, seat of pants proven, and verified by a few that spent millions testing the same thing. Past 40:1, a bicycle has as much torque, imo. The oil ratio did not foul the plug.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
I couldn't even find any reference to mixing suggestions in the Gas Gas manual, but I can assure you that the bottom end power is the most phenomenal point on a machine of this design.

If it runs properly, why bother jetting it? I only jet if there appears to be a problem.

I don't know what "extra gas" means, but the bike gets nearly 30 miles to a fuel tank and the fuel tank is just under a gallon capacity. It runs cleans, starts easy, doesn't smoke very much and needs little overhaul. Win/win.

I have spare spark plugs for all my bikes "just in case" but I don't ever use them, unless I'm doing an engine rebuild and those are few and far between. The spark plugs are always nice and dark tan, and not covered in globby deposits. I don't think that I have fouled a spark plug in the last 20 years in any of my bikes, except for when my CR85 was brand new. Once I replaced the dealers mix in the tank with my mix, no more plug fouling occurred.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…