quattto

Oct 19, 2003
94 kdx 200 32:1 ratio 150 main 48 pilot not sure on the needle have not checked yet, just picked up this bike. Only smokes when idleing around when into the throttle cleans up . Bike has really nice power . Any thoughts on the smoke needle maybe?

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
if it aint smokin something wrong. should clear up a little when its warmed up good. what part of the country are you in that 150 main sounds a little lean. i would check it. search on wot plug chop for all the info. if you have had the carb apart to see that you have a 150 main and 48 pilot why didnt you check the needle? numbers should be on there they are just small theres a number on the slide too whats it and no the needle isnt why its smokin.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
My 03 200 smokes a lot too. It is most likely a jetting problem. If you haven't already done so, read the "Carb Tuning" section of CD's JustKDX web site, then do a search on this forum for jetting.

A 150 main sounds reasonable but that depends on your altitude, temperature, and relative humidity. The 48 pilot (stock on my 03) sounds a little rich, and I bet your needle is in the mid position (stock) too. I suspect experimentation with a 45 & 42 pilot, and possibly a change in needle position, will get you closer to your goal. Make your changes one at a time so you can gauge your progress.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Just bear in mind that when on idle the pilot jet & slide are most relevant as the throttle is closed. Also you are revving very low & the ports are open for a long time relevant to engine speed & the pipe is out of its efficient range meaning you are getting a lot of short circuiting of mixture so it’s likely to smoke.

Tune for best response & ignore the smoke factor.

Ignore when you first start up as they always smoke worst then.

Top Bottom