slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Anyone have any experience like this...Big jump, flat landing, foot to far back on peg. I knew it was going to be a little rough of a landing so I braced myself but my left foot just gave way. I felt a pop and then it almost felt like my toes hit my ankle (probably not actually possible with a boot on). It felt kinda sore for the next lap. But it didnt stop me from riding for a few more hours. Next day its a little swolen and sore to walk on? Something to worry about or wait it out?
The pop feeling kind of freaked me out. Like a possible tendon snapping. I dont know.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
waited mine out but i was 17 at the time

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I've done that (not off a jump, in the woods). I usually just wait it out, as when I went to a doctor he said nothing was wrong, except it was a little swollen.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
i had same thing a couple weeks ago..doesn't sound quite as bad as yours. I didnt feel a pop. it hurt for a couple of days especially when i put weight on it a certain way and then it went away. I'd say give it a few days.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I was playing a soccer game about 5 years ago and heard a little snap. Couldn't play anymore and just figured it was a sprained ankle. It was a little hard to walk on too, really couldn't move the ankle much. Anyway, the next day my wife insisted that I go to the ER. Turns out I ruptured my achilles tendon. Surgery the next day. Can you move your ankle around pretty good? If not, go see the doc.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
slickpuss said:
Anyone have any experience like this....
Yes. I think you may have fractured your talus bone. A regular X-ray will not show it but a CAT scan will. I believe I fractured mine and the X-ray didn't show it, so I then rode on it about 4 weeks later before it was fully healed. I crashed and shattered it because it was previously weakened. Don't mess with this injury. Have the CAT scan to make sure you either fractured it or you didn't.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Here's a simple pic I found. Hope you didn't break anything. I have 3 screws holding my talus together from a nice little get-off about 4 months ago. YZ165

Attachments

• cons1_171_354.jpg
    cons1_171_354.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 125

cjonesy22002

Sep 16, 2005
when i was 14 i broke all 3 bones that make up the ankle joint. not a snap, more like the clicking of an automatic car transmission linkage (tick,tick,tick real fast) and then my right foot was sideways.... happened on a trampoline.

that sounds like you may have stretched out the tendons in your ankle. either the swelling will peak and so will the pain (that means you didn't do much bad) or it will continue to swell and increase in pain (which means go to the ER).

if you have health insurance go to the doctor anyway.

(my experience is 90% of doctoring up horses, and 90% of the time it's a wait and see what happes kind of thing.)

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Thanks for all the feedback. After 3 days its still sore and swollen. So I might as well see the doc. I have the insurance I might as well use it.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ask him about a CAT scan if the X-ray shows nothing. A word to the wise....

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I'm with MikeT, the initaial x-rays showed nothing that the ER doc could see. I was sent home with some Tylenol3, and crutches. The next day, after a Cat scan, I was told I was scheduled for surgery on both feet 5 days later......If you have insurance, get the doc to do a CAT. YZ165

Top Bottom