1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys the other day I was riding and one of my "L shaped" seat brackets on my 01' RM 250 that mount the seat to the subframe snapped. I've tried to order the bracket from everywhere and no one has them, I've even searched ebay and craigslist. Any idea where I can possibly find one, or do any members have an old seat or parts laying around? It just bolts on to the bottom on the seat, I thought for sure someone would sell the part. :bang:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
sounds like a little fabrication is in order??

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Your best bet is to make one, using your broken one and the other side as a pattern.

I'd fix it rather than ride with one bolt on the other side. If that one fails, you will have no way to hold the seat on.

To install the new mount, you will need to partly remove the seat cover. Then use a rivet gun gun.

To re-staple the seat cover, a heavy duty stapler will be fine. The staples will penetrate better if the seat base is warm.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Go see your local welding shop.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
It actually just bolts right to the bottom on the plastic seat frame, so I dont even have to remove the cover. I guess I will bring the mount to a local shop and see what they can do, but I was hoping to find someone who had an old seat laying around.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Patman said:
Go see your local welding shop.

:cool: Have it tig welded or have someone make a new one for you. It's a very simple part to make.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Once you do replace or fix it, it will snap again unless you modify the mounting boss on the sub-frame. There is a sharp corner on the boss that will eventually wear into the bracket until it snaps. Here's a picture of what you need to do on both mounting bosses:

Attachments

• Remove sharp edge-text.jpg
    Remove sharp edge-text.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 303

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I read about the potential problem in a magazine reveiw of the bike and did the modfication before it broke. It's been holding up for 10 years now.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I'm going to see if the local shop can weld it for me, headin down there now. It's gonna be tricky to weld because it snapped right on the bend, and its a pretty small part.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
1998RM250 said:
It's gonna be tricky to weld because it snapped right on the bend, and its a pretty small part.

That's where they all break. Shouldn't be a problem to tig weld.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I asked the guy at the local shop when I went to pickup some parts yesterday and he said $20-25 for that tiny little weld! I'm going to hold off and try to find a used seat on ebay or even maybe get lucky and find the parts for around the same price. If I had a welder I could do it myself!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
1998RM250 said:
I asked the guy at the local shop when I went to pickup some parts yesterday and he said $20-25 for that tiny little weld!................... If I had a welder I could do it myself!
That's not a bad price really, the guy isn't in business to work for free just like you are not either........... IF you had a welder but ya' don't but the guy at the shop does and he had to pay for it... :laugh:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Very true guys, and I will look for some type of bracket to modify. For now I did a really good job JB welding it, did like 3 coats and it even looks decent. The bracket feels pretty strong and I'm going for a ride today to try it out. Wish me luck lol!

Top Bottom