Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
Today I was trying to remove my front wheel on my 95 KDX, and I was able to get the fork pinch bolts undone, and put a 17mm socket on the hexagonal axle end, but the screw on the brake rotor side wouldn't come undone. I assume this is some kind of safety device that is a last-ditch effort from keeping your wheel from flying off while riding in case your fork pinch bolts come undone. Anyway, I tried WD-40 and Liquid Wrench, although admittedly I didn't really sit back and let the Liquid Wrench soak for more than 10 minutes. Since the screw head (phillips head) was already mangled by my inept mechanical skills, I took the Vise Grips to it with the intention of just getting it out and replacing it with a new one. Well, I should have known better, but the head of the screw snapped.

So now, what are my options as to how to go about getting this screw out of the axle? I have access to a cordless 9.6V drill, can I just drill it out? I need to be enlightened on E-Z outs, screw-outs, impact screwdrivers, etc. Craftsman has these bits where you put your drill in reverse, and the bit supposedly bites into the snapped bolt and screws it out. Is that wishful thinking? I was checking out the KDX service manual very carefully and it said nothing about this screw during the "wheel removal" section. This is the factory service manual, not the owner's manual. To be fair, I am the 3rd owner of this bike, and I have never had a flat with my front tire until now, so I have never removed the front wheel, so I wasn't too upset when it happened because I was kind of expecting it to, plus this is a good learning experience. What do I do? I don't know anything about heating the threads with a torch, and don't feel safe doing so, because I don't have anybody experienced to guide me. Should I take it to a machine shop and ask to watch while the guy removes it and then pay for it? What woud that cost?

Another thing, my fork pinch bolt studs that screw in to the lower fork leg were all loose. When I loosened the bolts, the studs turned along with the bolts, which was a little scary. I replaced them a few months back, and used anti-seize when I installed them. Should I have installed them dry, or with red loc-tite instead? I know they are the right thread and everything, I just really lubed them up before I installed them, so I hope that's all it is. Thanks.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
I had the same screw seize up on me.. it's onlly purpose in life is to hold on the lower leg guard.. I simply ground off the end of it, and then didn't run the silly leg guards anymore. Saves mucho weight :)

Jon!

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
Good, that's a relief. The screw did have green plastic behind it from the old brake disc guard that I took off, i.e., fell off. Still, I think I need to get rid of my vise grips, because every time I snap a bolt head I can attribute it to using them.

Top Bottom