GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
http://www.motosports-boise.com/rmd/snomoto.htm

Anyways I was wondering if anyone could give me anymore info on this. Im sure somebody knows something. Id like to know how much it would cost for this conversion and where to get the parts. My cousin just bought a ktm RFS 250 and i love the bike ( he's convinced me to buy one as soon as i sell my odyssey and gasgas). We have a deal, if I buy one, then we both are gona do this to our bikes if its possible. Id imaigine it would cost around $1500-2000 or so? Maybe im way off on price.It doesnt seem too difficult with all the parts. Its cool. Once the snow melts just unbolt and throw the tires on! Who needs a sled . If anyone has anymore info, please help me out. Thanks!

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
haha yea i know you're telling me. It looks so much fun. I mean granted, a snowmobile is prolly more comfortable and faster, i think just having one of these out on the trails is way more important lol. I mean, whats better than riding all season long on rubber, and then once the snow hits, takin them off and putting tracks on. they seem like they bolt on pretty easily. I cant wait!!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
That is SWEET ! Kinda makes me want to get a big bore 4 stoke!  I have never seen anything like it! Was every one else not allowed on the info link as well?

Kevin

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
One thing though, will the RFS250 have enough power for the snow? I would think you would need minimum 450, with the 525 being best for the snow. If you're only riding on hardpack it might be alright, but powder sucks up the power.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
sweeeeeeeet! Ive been trying to find it. Thanks alot! Heh. Yea i dont think its out yet, but im gona email them or call em to find out when it will be available. Im stickin with my original guess of 1500-2000 for the conversion. It seems about right. If so, consider it done! I still think the ktm rfs 250 is a good bike for it. Maybe not as good as a 450 or so, but im about 5 6" 135lbs, so id be screwed when the tires come back on heh.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
my bro has a ktm 250exc i might buy. That could be a good bike as well. Im not sure tho. Is anyone else really tempted to do this besides me?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I want one! That is WAY to flippin cool. I wonder how much they will cost? I also wonder how different motors would do in the snow--would two or four strokes be better? Big or small bore? I think a bigger bike would be better, as someone said the powder really sucks powder just like sand would. Not sure about 2 vs 4 stroke though. A two stroke is going to be lighter, but much more temperamental about the more extreme elevation and temperature changes that a snow machine would see. I see my snowmobile buddies endlessly messing with their sleds. All the kids seem to be for four strokes though--the website said something about YZFs and CRFs and the pictures they show are of that 525 KTM.

I can't wait to see one.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I was thinking mid 90's KX 500, because of availability and price. We don't have mountains here so jetting is not an issue. But I think that your right about needing a big bore cause you can't have those snowmobilers laughing when an old Skidoo Elan passes you!

Kevin

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
haha yea a kx500 would be fine for me for the snow, but what happens what I want to put the tires on haha. Its just a lil too big for me. I think a tricked out 250 might be alright. They said 250s and up arent a problem. They say a 125 can be sufficient, but its not gona have alot of sack. Makes sense though.
I tend to think a 4-stroke would be better, like the ktm 520 exc they had. That must be a beast in the snow. Its hard to say though, cuz I've obviously never done it. But the guys creating it must have more info. I would imagine by now they would have tried many different bikes, so they would know which is best.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
That was why the price was an issue... so I could leave the tires off ;)

Kevin

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I wonder if you could get the front ski sperately and then just add a sand tire while your saving up for that new KTM thumper? Theres another company that sells a moto-ski (jsut the front ski) for about $200 or so. Cant convert them four wheelers yet, so bragging about how good your dirtbike is in the winter is another great plus.

Top Bottom