jim01

Jul 9, 2002
Anyone snowboard?

My first time snowboarding was 4 weeks ago, man what a BLAST! I had to get myself one, and I did. One of the best purchases yet!

Later

PS: Im located in NW ILLINIOS. I think it would be a blast going snowboarding with people from this website.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I've been snowboarding for 6 years now. Right now we have no snow yet so I'm very bitter, because I bought a new snowboard. When it does finally snow, I can't wait.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I am going to Whitewater tomorrow--oops, I mean today! 40" of snow and early season discount tickets! Whoo-hoo!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I do, I can,but I haven't been in the last two seasons, I can't do any air tricks but I love to carve

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Will be 14 years this winter. I skied twice in my life, and haven't been on ski's since. I was boarding when it wasn't even allowed at resorts. When you'd go to the hill and there might be one other person on a board. Buront Swallowtails, Look Lamars, when OP was actually cool. I never should have sold my first board, Look Lamar 170, that thing kicked so much ass...

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I must say, skiing is much better. I've been doing it since I was three, and even though I've never tried snowboarding 'persay', I can see that snowboarders life lives with much less contentment.

Also, snowboarding is to winter sports what FMX is to dirt biking. That's bad :moon:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Whitewater is in Nelson. The snow wasn't great, but there was enough of it to board on, so we were happy. Especially for $20 US.

YZEater, quit trying to stir up trouble. Boarding and skiing are both viable sports. If you've never tried it how do you know?

I can barely stand up on the darn thing. I was just starting to learn to carve 5 years ago . . . then I have only been once since then. Just no time and money. It was great fun though, and I can't wait to get better at it. I can get off the lift without falling now!! That's a major accomplishment.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I tried a buddy's snowboard after a long day of skiing and thought it was a lot of fun really. I don't have any plans of dropping my planks to be a knuckledragger, but I really enjoy skiing with snowboarders. It's nice to see how different people attack different obstacles. My roommate boards and I've gone with him probably 40 times in the past three years...it always seems funny to me the rivalry between the two sports.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by yzeater
I must say, skiing is much better. I've been doing it since I was three, and even though I've never tried snowboarding 'persay', I can see that snowboarders life lives with much less contentment.

Also, snowboarding is to winter sports what FMX is to dirt biking. That's bad :moon:

Your right, flourescent pink clothing, ski poles and hard boots are cool. LOL... Snowboarding has been out since 1976, thats um...27 years or so? I think I'm actually more content on my board then on my bike. Cruising around, getting into a deep powder(a place you skier's are scared of :yeehaw: ) You stick to the hard packed groomed runs, I'll stay in the tree's we'll get along just fine...

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
You think we're afraid of deep powder? HA! Deep powder runs are my home away from home. Don't worry, I'll lend you a hand when you get stuck......I hate to see you guys doing the caterpillar crawl. :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I am partial to skiing myself- tried snowboarding 2x and just couldn't get used to my feet being locked on.
Thekid on the other hand is a board nut- he used to ski but has no desire to strap skis to his feet again.
The downside- in January he broke his right wrist boarding and last night he broke his right forearm and left wrist boarding. It isn't that the sport is that much more dangerous but he likes pushing the edge a bit to hard

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
FC- I wasn't sure if you were referring to the same Whitewater that I know of, but now I know you were. I didn't even know that they were open. Once we get more snow, you should come check out Red Mountain, it's closer to Spokane than Whitewater, and it's an awesome hill, when it has snow.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Closer? Because Whitewater wasn't that far. 49 Degrees North is supposed to open soon. I really don't have the $ for it right now though. I am going to ride a little more, then after the 1st of the year snowboard more.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The local resort here Big White (www.bigwhite.com) Is getting more and more snow, and opening more lifts every day. I am still restraining myself to wait until they have at least 100cm of snow base before I venture up. It's still riding season in the valley though, I went riding this past sunday on the best dirt I've seen all year!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by Hucker

Cruising around, getting into a deep powder

we don't get much in the way of deep powder out here unless we go outback, but yea, cruising and carving long lines down a steep slope, dragg'n your hand with your face just inches off the snow, Ahhhh, it's a whole nether world :thumb:

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by OldassKDX
You think we're afraid of deep powder? HA! Deep powder runs are my home away from home. Don't worry, I'll lend you a hand when you get stuck......I hate to see you guys doing the caterpillar crawl. :)

Ha ha, once in a while I get a little to excited and flop around. Hopefully this year I'll make it out to Baker or Hood to take you up on your offer :)

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I'll be in Park City in two weeks. going to try a board for the first time If my feet will hold up. Been skiing for 31 years now think it's about time I try a board. As far a powder, waist high and trees close on both sides, that’s the way I like it. Taught Lil96 to ski In Jackson Hole, In 3 days he was skiing trees with his dad like a natural.
If any North Western DRN'ers are going to be in Park City / Salt Lake area, lets get together. New Years eve to Jan 8th. :yeehaw:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
My balance really sucks (except for on the bike) so snowboarding is not in my future. I love to ski though. I had tried snowboarding once but didn't have a good expirence :(

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I had one of those European contraptions back in the mid '80s. It was like two skiis with a bit on the top that you stood sideways on, and when you leaned it tilted the skiis over onto their edges and turned. Sounds bizarre, but it was sort of a snowboard and just as painful :-) After about 4 attempts I gave it up and bought some new skiis as the bruising was quite severe!

I also have tried a 'normal' snowboard a few times, and while I wasn't very good at it I made a conscious decision to stick to skiing.

I also bought some of the Elan Parabolic skiis when they were first introduced for my wife to have a go on. I liked them so much that I rarely use my longer and newer Atomic parabolics. They give some of the advantages of skiing with some of the advantages of snowboarding (really good carving!) without being too trendy!!

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Any one in NY go to holaday vally or kissing bridge yet? bouth open allredy! I havent gone snowboarding in about 2 years I wanna real bad thoe. . .

Top Bottom