2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
That is so cool! :) It looks really simple, yet affective.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
How do they get the turning to work? when you turn the wheel one of them starts spinning slower and the other faster. I doubt the had any electronics doing it back then.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
A few years back on junkyard wars, they had a team of guys that were building a vehicle to drive across the berring strait outside of show. I distinctly remember the vehicle having the same corkscrew drive concept, and it could float and drive on water and ice. It was sweet, but not as sweet as that snow tractor towing 20 tons of lumber

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Patented in 1907. The same Peavy of guitars? Lost technology to the tank? That set up is pretty sweet! First I recall of this, even a video game used its idea? Nice find, and its on dang near every mechanical forum on the net! Why did it get shelved?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
JD_MXRacer said:
How do they get the turning to work? when you turn the wheel one of them starts spinning slower and the other faster. I doubt the had any electronics doing it back then.
About half way through the video it shows how the steering works. The steer wheel is hooked up with linkages to a gear box that drives the drums.

No they didn't have electronics but remember the first computer was mechanical. ;)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Seems pretty cool on snow .... but if you'd hit a bare patch, it wouldn't do well (imagine grinding over hard ground, rocks or pavement with those screws).

Tracks are a lot more versatile ....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
One of the references I was reading said this design lost to what we know as the tank? Still puzzled as to why these were seemingly not everywhere for use in the snow for work or pleasure?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
One of the references I was reading said this design lost to what we know as the tank? Still puzzled as to why these were seemingly not everywhere for use in the snow for work or pleasure?
Tracks were probably cheaper to build, and they're definitely easier to repair. Had those "pontoon screws" been invented today, maybe out of lighter and stronger materials, things may have been different.

MOgle80

Dec 4, 2005
dont you think the chain drive on the rear would be fragile and dangerous and the front did not look like it would handle an obstacle with out getting tore up, it is cool but not practical :ride:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
MOgle80 said:
dont you think the chain drive on the rear would be fragile and dangerous and the front did not look like it would handle an obstacle with out getting tore up, it is cool but not practical :ride:
looked to handle snow-type obstacles fine to me.

and there was no such thing as "dangerous" in 1926, unless you counted EVERYTHING

Top Bottom