So Hard To Say Good-bye...

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Yesterday I had to make the decision to put my dog, Buffy down. I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. I told myself I would never make this decision, but it seems like the only option for me and for her.

My dog is 17 years old, deaf and partially blind from old age. She recenly got doggy demensia and now decided to starve her self by not eating in over 7 days. The past few months it has been a real struggle to get her to eat and she has refused to eat dog food for months. I tried everything to get her to eat. For a while she was doing ok then about a week or so ago, just went cold turkey. She is now so weak she can hardly stand up. Everyday she takes a huge step downhill. I will be gone next week, I didn't want to leave her and something happen and not get the chance to say good bye. I decided that taking her to the vet would end her suffereing, and ease my mind.

It's been really hard for me to watch this go on, as I have had this dog since I was 5 and don't even remember life without her. One of my earliest memories is the day I got her. she has slept in my room with me as far as I can remember.

She's been the best dog ever, always doing what ever she could do to please me. I already miss her. Part of me wishes that she would go in her sleep tonight so that I didn't have to take her to the vet in the morning.
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Yesterday...

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Sorry to hear, Jenny. :( But I guess look at the bright side - 17 happy years and memories with Buffy! And those memories will never go away.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
I'm sorry to have you have to put her down. I know that's a hard thing to have to do.
:(

oldguy

Always Broken
Jenny you are making the right decision in doing what is best for Buffy and not yourself. You will shed many tears (I know I do everytime ) but her memory will be with you forever. It is never easy (and shouldn't be) to loose a friend whether 2 legged or 4. Hang in there and remember it will occur fast and painlessly for Buffy and ensure that she is free of the pain she is now experiencing.

Danman

Lifetime Sponsor
enny you are making the right decision in doing what is best for Buffy and not yourself.
I echo what Old guy says. I know its hard, but you will always have the memeries and the comfort of knowing that she will not suffer.

Hang in there Jenny, I had to do the same a few years ago. I stayed with my buddy untill he went to sleep (don't know if I'd recommend that). Just before he closed his eyes he looked up at me and cuddled close, the look in his eyes was that of peace and final comfort. I aked for forgiveness and he laid his head on my foot as if to say "thank you and I love you too."

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
Very hard thing to do. Parting with a friend is so painful.

My heart goes out to you, Jenny.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Funny how animals know when it's their time but, it's still hard for the Humans that love them.
Sorry for you lose :whiner:

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
I feel for you. I'v done the same thing myself and and was surprised at the amount of grief, but it does get better with time, and you should draw strength from the fact that your friend has had a nice life with you, and that you are now doing the right thing by he. Over time the grief will diminish, but you will still have the happy memories.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
Been there Jenny, it is THE hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I cried like a baby and still miss my buddy Kirby. You'll be fine but it will tear your heart out for a while. I'm sorry you have to go through it but it is a part of being a responsible pet owner and a good friend. :whiner: :whiner:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
I agree with what you're doing. While working in Colorado on a farm my Jr yr in HS, my family put my dog 'to sleep', and then called to tell me about it. Needless to say, it wasn't easy to work for a while.

This was a 200 pound St. Bernard named Adolf, that saved my ass on more than one occasion, followed me everywhere I went (including 3 or 4 mile walks to town), and allowed me to ride him around in front of people just to show off.

I found out they shot him and buried him shallowly on our farm in the Sandhills. :ugg: I've never cared much for an animal since.

That's a tuffy, but I believe you're doing the right thing.