blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Yesterday I had to make the decision to put my dog, Buffy down. I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. I told myself I would never make this decision, but it seems like the only option for me and for her.

My dog is 17 years old, deaf and partially blind from old age. She recenly got doggy demensia and now decided to starve her self by not eating in over 7 days. The past few months it has been a real struggle to get her to eat and she has refused to eat dog food for months. I tried everything to get her to eat. For a while she was doing ok then about a week or so ago, just went cold turkey. She is now so weak she can hardly stand up. Everyday she takes a huge step downhill. I will be gone next week, I didn't want to leave her and something happen and not get the chance to say good bye. I decided that taking her to the vet would end her suffereing, and ease my mind.

It's been really hard for me to watch this go on, as I have had this dog since I was 5 and don't even remember life without her. One of my earliest memories is the day I got her. she has slept in my room with me as far as I can remember.

She's been the best dog ever, always doing what ever she could do to please me. I already miss her. Part of me wishes that she would go in her sleep tonight so that I didn't have to take her to the vet in the morning.
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Yesterday...
buffy.jpg

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Sorry to hear, Jenny. :( But I guess look at the bright side - 17 happy years and memories with Buffy! And those memories will never go away.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'm sorry to have you have to put her down. I know that's a hard thing to have to do.
:(

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Jenny you are making the right decision in doing what is best for Buffy and not yourself. You will shed many tears (I know I do everytime ) but her memory will be with you forever. It is never easy (and shouldn't be) to loose a friend whether 2 legged or 4. Hang in there and remember it will occur fast and painlessly for Buffy and ensure that she is free of the pain she is now experiencing.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
enny you are making the right decision in doing what is best for Buffy and not yourself.

I echo what Old guy says. I know its hard, but you will always have the memeries and the comfort of knowing that she will not suffer.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Hang in there Jenny, I had to do the same a few years ago. I stayed with my buddy untill he went to sleep (don't know if I'd recommend that). Just before he closed his eyes he looked up at me and cuddled close, the look in his eyes was that of peace and final comfort. I aked for forgiveness and he laid his head on my foot as if to say "thank you and I love you too."

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very hard thing to do. Parting with a friend is so painful.

My heart goes out to you, Jenny.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Funny how animals know when it's their time but, it's still hard for the Humans that love them.
Sorry for you lose :whiner:

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I feel for you. I'v done the same thing myself and and was surprised at the amount of grief, but it does get better with time, and you should draw strength from the fact that your friend has had a nice life with you, and that you are now doing the right thing by he. Over time the grief will diminish, but you will still have the happy memories.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Been there Jenny, it is THE hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I cried like a baby and still miss my buddy Kirby. You'll be fine but it will tear your heart out for a while. I'm sorry you have to go through it but it is a part of being a responsible pet owner and a good friend. :whiner: :whiner:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I agree with what you're doing. While working in Colorado on a farm my Jr yr in HS, my family put my dog 'to sleep', and then called to tell me about it. Needless to say, it wasn't easy to work for a while.

This was a 200 pound St. Bernard named Adolf, that saved my ass on more than one occasion, followed me everywhere I went (including 3 or 4 mile walks to town), and allowed me to ride him around in front of people just to show off.

I found out they shot him and buried him shallowly on our farm in the Sandhills. :ugg: I've never cared much for an animal since.

That's a tuffy, but I believe you're doing the right thing.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Jenny, I am so sorry to hear about Buffy.  Your situation is bringing tears to my eyes, it is so similar to what I just went through three weeks ago with Libby, my 17 year old cat.  I've had her since I was in college and she was with me though everything. 

Same as Buffy, Libby got sick abot a month and a half ago and stopped eating.  She'd eat people food for a while then nothing at all.  She got so weak and it was just killing me to see her grow weaker and weaker.   She wanted to be in my lap all the time, always near me.  The vets' diagnosis was cancer.  He prepared me for the fact that she was not going to pull out of this one.

I cryed everytime I had to think about taking her in to the vet to put her down, it was such a truamatic decision and I put it off on a daily basis, tormented between my own guilt at needing her to be with me and yet wanting to know if she was in misery or pain and if I should be the one to make that decision.  Back and forth, back and forth.  I'd run home from work at lunch time just to hold her for an extra 1/2 hour a day because I knew the end was near.

Well, I finally made the decision to put her down.  I made the appointment for the following afternoon because I wanted just one more night to cuddle her.  Well, Libby ended up dying in her sleep in the morning and it was a sad sad time.  I was so thankful to have that cat all these years, I did not want her to be miserable anymore, so for her I was glad it was over.

Jenny sometimes making that decision is the right thing to do.   I am so sorry that you are going through this, I know it is tormenting fromfirst hand experience and its still very fresh in my mind. 

Well, I can tell you this:  Libby will meet Buffy at the Pearly Gate and show her around, k?  Hang onto the memories, they will always be with you. 

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
:( - all dogs go to heaven - sorry for you loss

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jenny

Reading you post brought tears of memories to my eyes.

It is always hard, but they know when it is time. Be with Buffy to the end.

Peace be with you both.

Hard to type ...

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
:whiner: I'm so sorry for you.  Cherish the memories and the good times.  My family's dog was put down about two years ago.  I was fine with it until my mom called me and described his last moments.  I cried like a baby. :(

Top Bottom