So, I've Got a 210lb Z50...

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Well not exactly. I went out to go riding yesterday (I was going to get some pics with my new digital camera!!). I got on the bike, and I shifted into first. Didn't move. I revved it up. Didn't move. Got into 5th gear at high revs, and guess what. We didn't move. So I let it warm up, and gave it kinda a running start (I pushed the bike to get it rolling, then rode it a little). That didn't really work. After it was warm, the CR125 (2000 Honda) was still making almost no power (that is z50 sized power). The bike wouldn't rev right. I'd roll on the power, and it would act like normal down low, but then it would jump to high rpm's and not accelerate. It was like the clutch was half way pulled in.
I decided that it wouldn't be fun trying to clear my 60' table with this bike, so I walked it home. The clutch was adjusted right. Oil was good (prolly had 5 hrs on it). Top end needs to be done, but I don't think that would make the bike perform like it did. After discussing this with my riding buddies last night, we decided my clutch is gone. Does that sound right? If so, what will need replacing? Both sets of plates, springs, basket, cable? I'm on a serious budget (just bought a mac, and so speakers and goodies are in the works), what's best for the buck. Some guy :) recommended that I go with the EBC steel kit. It's only like 80 bucks for the springs and plates. Would steel plates last longer / work better? Any tips for doing this work? Will I need special tools or a new clutch gasket? Okay, that should be the end of it. Hope I answered everything. Thanks a lot guys
-Stephen

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
My best guess is a broken friction clutch plate.

Reason the bike is revving and going nowhere is that the broken friction plate is making it impossible for the pressure plate to push together the plates and hold them together firmly to turn the basket/gear and make the bike go. So, in essence, it is like you have the clutch lever pulled a little bit the whole time.

And if you have been riding with a broken clutch plate... chances are the inner basket is shot (grooved/notched really bad) and maybe the outer basket, too.

If it isn't a broken plate, it just sounds like you smoked the clutch and the plates can't grip together anymore and/or the baskets are trashed. OR it could be that you snapped/sheared off the bolt heads on the bolts that hold the springs. This would act the same way because the pressure plate is not being pushed in all the way.

Best thing to do next is lay the bike over on its side and remove the clutch cover. If there is a broken plate - you can normally see it right away. Same with broken heads on the spring bolts. I'll bet as soon as you take the cover off you get a nice smell of burnt oil. Next, remove the spring bolts and take off the pressure plate and remove the plates. Check out the plates and the baskets. If you need a whole clutch overhaul - that'll involve new steel plates, friction plates, springs, inner hub, outer basket, clutch cover gasket, possibly pressure plate, possibly pin/bearing(s), possibly some washers.

Last edited:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I don't think it's a broken plate. My bike's been wimping out slowly over the past few rides, so it wasn't like an instant problem

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Might be a stupid question, but does the clutch lever have any slack, or is it still strung tight when you let go of it?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Ya never know. I rode 4 motos once with a broken plate. I first noticed in moto 1 when I came out of a turn and the bike revved but didn't move too quick. I fiddled with the quick adjust and lever and the problem seemed to go away. Chances are it was just a small fracture/break to begin with and enough to still hold together and act normal for the most part. It was semi-decent for the rest of the day - I just figured it was something with the cable or quick adjust or oil or something. The next weekend I went out for practice and it started acting up again - this time pretty bad. Then we took off the clutch cover and saw the damage.... one plate was shattered into pieces.

But yeah, odds are that you just fried your clutch and the baskets are shot if it's been getting worse and slipping over time.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I used to have a CR125. The clutch would let go relatively abruptly. One ride, it would slip a very little bit, the next ride, the bike wouldn't move.
For the price, the EBC is the best kit. Don't get Kevlar plates. The part number for Kevlar kits has an "EP" in it. Also, you should read Eric Gorr's tips for your bike on his website. You will want to buy stock springs and not use the EBC springs. The stockers are designed to allow a little slip when shifting, reducing the shock to the tranny gears.
I have run an EBC kit in my bike for a few months w/ the stiffer springs and began to noticed more missed shifts and aluminum debris on my magnetic drain plug. I switched back to the stock springs and immediately noticed better shifting and cleaner oil.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
you're correct, I mean't to type "steel" or whatever alloy the gears are made out of.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…