ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
We went riding last wednesday and after about 4 hours of riding we decide to pack it up but my buddy who had been riding his new CR500 all day asked if he could give the YZ a quick spin. I agreed and said the usual that I tell people who I let ride my bike. "You Break, You Buy"...
So he's riding for a few minutes and then I hear my bike WOT and turn to see it tumbling end over end and my friend doing the same. I thought he had hurt himself pretty bad but after we went over to check on him, he was fine and the bike didnt look like it took to much dammage. Just a slightly bent rear fender. Or at least i thought thats all that was wrong w/ it until yesterday.
I took it off the stand to give her a wash down and noticed right away that the bars wont bend all the way to the left. Reason why, the support brace that holds my steering dampener is cracked and bent over to the left and also the bearings that hold the forks to the frame tube are blown. You can hear them grinding when turning the bars. This piece also welds to the frame so i'll have to have it prfessionally cut off and replaced. Also looks like he might have slightly bent the sub-frame although thats not my main concern right now.

I've got a friend that works at a local dealer and he looked at it and said that he can prolly get the parts for around 300.00 to have it 100% again. Does that sound about right? i was thiking in the ball park of 5-600.00 easliy but never had to replace a subframe or this damn brace before... :pissed: :bang:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ls1cameric said:
the support brace that holds my steering dampener is cracked and bent over to the left

also the bearings that hold the forks to the frame tube are blown. You can hear them grinding when turning the bars.

never had to replace a subframe or this damn brace before...QUOTE]

If you are talking about the pin that goes into the dampener arm that is bent, you can usually bend them straight and weld the cracks.

The head race bearings don't go bad with one crash. They usually go bad over time from lack of maintainance/grease.

Unless your sub-frame is kinked or broken, it can be easily straightened. You shouldn't have to replace it.

Just my $.02

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Kasjok said:
Do you ask this to know how much money to bump out of your friend`s wallet? :)

Well sorta yeah. I just want to get a ball park idea of what this is going to cost.

And I already talked to him this morning and he let me know that he'll cover all the cost of repairs.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Ol'89r said:
ls1cameric said:
the support brace that holds my steering dampener is cracked and bent over to the left

also the bearings that hold the forks to the frame tube are blown. You can hear them grinding when turning the bars.

never had to replace a subframe or this damn brace before...QUOTE]

If you are talking about the pin that goes into the dampener arm that is bent, you can usually bend them straight and weld the cracks.

The head race bearings don't go bad with one crash. They usually go bad over time from lack of maintainance/grease.

Unless your sub-frame is kinked or broken, it can be easily straightened. You shouldn't have to replace it.

Just my $.02

Considering the whole bike is pretty much brand new, he's replacing w/ brand new parts. I dont want some rigged up pin in there that looks like ass weather it works fine or not. He priced it out and that part is 90.00 from scotts and should be on order tomorrow.
The bearing that is now grinding has never made any noise before and now sounds like crap so if its dammaged, it was from this one crash and that will be replaced as well. The sub frame is the least of my worries and i figuried that if it is bent, i can just bend it back if needed.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ls1cameric said:
Ol'89r said:
Considering the whole bike is pretty much brand new,

The bearing that is now grinding has never made any noise before and now sounds like crap so if its dammaged, it was from this one crash and that will be replaced as well. QUOTE]

Isn't this the same bike you posted about the rear spokes being so oxidized and seized that you couldn't even adjust them. :nod:

Now all of a sudden it's pretty much brand new. :coocoo:

Glad I'm not your "Buddy".

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Sick Bruiser on eem....

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I say you talk to your friend and tell him you are going to take it to the dealer to get it fixed and whatever the bill is he can pay it when you pick it up. Assuming you are only fixing damages that occurred during the crash it sustained with him riding it. He should be understanding with this since he is the one who took the soil sample on your bike and caused the damage. As a good friend he should understand that he shouldnt ride his buddies bike if he isnt willing to replace and repair and damage that he causes, and you as a good friend should only be looking to have him replace the things that were actually damaged in the crash he had and nothing further.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If the guy was wreckless and just rode the bike with no regard for it, sure, he should help have it fixed.

On the other hand, YOU took some risk when you decided to loan your bike out, just like your buddy took some risk when he borrowed it.

I'm glad your buddy was OK after the crash. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I loan my bike to people all the time and have never expected anyone to pay for damages. Of course i only loan to friends and people who I know wont intentionally cause damage, they are dirt bikes and are meant to be ridden, broken and fixed. Expecting a friend to pay DEALER $$ to have something fixed is extortion and the sign on a very short friendship in my opinion. He buys parts and the two of you fix it together at least.

Top Bottom