So my Tounsend let me down

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I have torn my ACL in both my knees. Right one 25 yrs ago. Most recent was my left knee 6 mos ago ( ugly uphill swap ). I ordered a Townsend brace to match my right brace. I've been riding for about 3 mos since. Yesterday I made a flat landing, not very hard, and my shin bone popped out. Yes a lovely way to end the day. Currently it is swollen and under ice. Which Asterisk brace provides maximum support, I assume they have various models. I know there has to be other guys riding with torn ACL's - what do you use ?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use and love my Asterisk braces. I have been using them for about three years with no problems. My left knee has no ACL, no cartilage, and very little meniscus. Therefore it is very unstable. Check out www.asterisk.com To me, they are well worth the money.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I tried the web, but I hate to download more crap on my computer just to check it out - besides, where can I get more relivant feedback but here. Is my assumption correct that the "Cell" is their "best" brace ?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The cell is their brace nothing better. I wouldn't dream of letting my son ride/race without a pair on him and since getting them his knees are about the only body part he hasn't injured.
I have blown out knees (skiing and dirtbikes), altho they have been repaired, I now also have a pair of cells for the few times I ride. They are designed to do one thing only and that is protect your knees and they do it.
The next best thing about them is their customer service you won't find any better anywhere before, during and after the sale makes no differance.
Just remember the first 2 rides with them will feel strange but after that my guess is you will forget you are wearing them

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Just got my Cells today and put a ride in. Felt a few twinges, but the knees held - and the left one is pretty weak right now ( popped it out 2 weeks ago after blowing the ACL 6 mos ago ). They are way more comfortable than my Townsend's - and I can buy (2) sets for the price of a single Townsend. I like the lacing way more than the straps. I wish I had these 6 mos ago !!!!

Thanks for all the input

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
One thing you may end up wanting to do unless the braces have changed since I got mine is to change the way the laces are routed. A few of us have had the laces irritate the back side of our leg with the normal routing. If it becomes an issue for you just check out this forum a little closer and you'll see what some of us did.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I have no issues with the laces, hardly know I have them on.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I just got mine Tuesday and have ridden in them two time and they are well worth the money. I have a partially torn ACL in my right knee, from what I don't know but it's what it is, so I got these to save my from a possible surgery. I looked at what they had at the clinic and these are far superior and $2500 less and I will be reimbursed by my insurance due to the DME (durible medical equipment) in the policy besides the fact that the doc wrote me a perscription. Thanks for an awesome product that us mere mortals can afford.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…