So the KDX is officially dropped by Kawasaki. What are you going to do?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I have not been around in awhile. So the KDX is officially done? Nothing for the 07 line up? That's a shame. If you are a 2 stroke guy, it looks like its an MX bike or nothing if you want to stay green. Too bad Kawasaki never built the woods bike I always wished they would: KX125 chassis, with a woods-tuned suspension and a KDX 200 motor. So what are you woods riders going to do? Keep the KDXs alive forever? While I still have my trusty 96 KDX, my main ride these days is an 05 KTM 300EXC. At least you can still get a decent 2T Woods bike from KTM or Gas Gas (one good thing about the KTM world is that there are a LOT of riders there who got into riding on a KDX and still have a soft spot in their hearts for it).

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yup I'm a 2 stroke guy, so orange is in my future!

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
to tell you the truth the gas gas's are nice bikes. I have a dealer near me that sells them, although they are very expensive they use quality parts.

KDX200Dad

Oct 15, 2005
Disappointing, though expected.

I guess stories were true, no KDX in the 2007 line up. I am a big 2 stroke fan, I guess I'll just stock up on spare parts and hope to keep my KDX running as long as possible.

Core87

Jul 4, 2006
I've heard all good things about the new GAS GAS 300 2stroke, they also have a 200 and a 250 in their enduro range, all have ohlins rear shock & marzocchi forks, factory tuned expansion chambers. nice looking bike with good gear on it standard.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Yup, KTM or Gasser. Most likely Gasser,(my family has a thing with Spanish bikes). Plus the Gasser stands out in a sea of orange!

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I guess I'll eventually have to move into the new century. It would be nice to find something that doesn't have a 1-2 year redesign cycle.

Next bike 2T: KTM 200, 250 or 300 XC-W
Next bike 4T: KTM 450EXC, Husky TE450, Honda CRF450X

hulagun

Jul 11, 2006
End of an era

I own a KDX but eventually I'll go diesel (er I mean 4 stroke). Four strokes are cleaner and they just get better and better power wise. Gotta keep the air as clean as we can, if motorcycling wants to survive we gotta at least be open to new ideas and technologies. (Like being cleaner than the dirtbike haters yuppie cars and hippie vans). Anyway the KDX being dropped could be a sign that Kawasaki believes the future is in 4 strokes.

Hurricane19

Mar 24, 2005
Guys guys guys???? Don't forget about the good old kx250,or yz,cr,rm, for that matter. I know they are not purpose built woods bikes but it doesn't take a lot to make them into a good one. Heck look at the enduro and gncc series. Most of the guys in my series are on 2 strokes and I would say the majority of them are on ktm 200/250exc or the yz250.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
KDXruss said:
Yup, KTM or Gasser. Most likely Gasser,(my family has a thing with Spanish bikes).

No kidding. Your dad has had that old Bultaco so long, he probably wouldn't be able figure out the controls on a non-spanish bike! :coocoo:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Hurricane19 said:
Guys guys guys???? Don't forget about the good old kx250,or yz,cr,rm, for that matter. I know they are not purpose built woods bikes but it doesn't take a lot to make them into a good one. Heck look at the enduro and gncc series. Most of the guys in my series are on 2 strokes and I would say the majority of them are on ktm 200/250exc or the yz250.

That's the big choice all right. If you still want a 2T. You can make a nice woods bike from an MX'er but it takes effort and it gets expensive when you factor all the stuff like suspension revalves, 18 in rear wheel, guards, lighting, spark arrestor, odo, etc - and the gearbox remains close ratio. Though to be fair, KTM is making you do a lot more of that with the XC/XCW models now (to deal with the new EPA regs).

The 2nd problem does not hit everyone, but if getting it street plated for enduros is an issue for you, it is a lot harder for a jap MX bike than for a KTM or GG, particularly in NY (and it's getting hard for those too).

Conversely, the 4Ts will get easier, with KTM following Husky's lead and supplying 50 state DMV legal EXC's for '07.

strader

Nov 19, 2005
I was planning to buy a KTM XC-W 200 or 250 but now I am thinking about going for a 250 4 stroke. I rarely use all the power of my KDX 220 and would rather have a bike with smoother power delivery and better handling. So probably a WR250F, CRFX250, or KTM 250F XCW.

Dec 19, 2004
strader said:
I was planning to buy a KTM XC-W 200 or 250 but now I am thinking about going for a 250 4 stroke. I rarely use all the power of my KDX 220 and would rather have a bike with smoother power delivery and better handling. So probably a WR250F, CRFX250, or KTM 250F XCW.
i heard ktm put 36mm carb on the 2007 200 XC-W and it is supposed to make the power more linear. read it over on ktmtalk a while ago

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Gas Gas 200 for me....... just something about them that keeps stiring my loins! KX-125 with 220 lump sounds better though :ride:

The idea of a 4 stroke has soooooo much going for it if I wasn't so quakey about those super highly strung 4 stroke engines, unless you go 450cc+. The Honda CRF-250 (X) 4 stroke appealed to me when I was looking around for a new bike after a long time off riding, but I have a few mechanically sympathic friends with both enduro and MX versions and they had/have/are still having all sorts of problems.....cams, balancers, gearbox, clutches, wheel bearings, spokes etc which made me feel even more comfy about my choice of another bombproof KDX.....you know I just realised that ALL my friends ride 4 stroke!
But those CRF's.........from where I'm standing all it's almost like Honda are going thru the 'Mercedes Benz scenario' of seemingly trying to build their bikes cheaper to try and compete on price and failing, this isn't a beat up Honda post it's just what I see!

At last Sundays Kings Hill TnT Hare and Hounds they had a couple of demo' Gassers for test rides after the race, I was licking my lips with anticipation!........but after 3 hours racing, with bad curry guts in 30'c temps and an empty Camelback I would rather have stuck pins in eyes than go for test ride....shame really!

So the 03 KDX-220 soldiers on, I can't sell her as I have no takers after 2 weeks advertising with only 1,000 miles on the clock which is typical, when I wanted one it took me 2 months to find one :coocoo: .
BUT I do have a knawing feeling that if I sell her I may just regret it for a number of reasons, she is so user friendly, so utterly reliable, big 3 hour fuel tank, nice comfy seat, great on fuel, great brakes, smooth torquey engine, light gearbox and I have a hunch she still flatters my poor riding ability ohh and she stands out in a field of orange sheep, heck I may just keep her instead!

Richard

PS Well done to Pete Fry on his 90 KDX, he scored great points again at the TnT HnH:cool: and that was one hard days racing

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
COMBEN said:
The idea of a 4 stroke has soooooo much going for it
Yup like 30 lbs (13.6kg) and a higher center of gravity. :yikes:

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
kmccune said:
Yup like 30 lbs (13.6kg) and a higher center of gravity. :yikes:

Sorry, meant the new breed of 4 strokes compared to our KDX's....I'm not 100% on this but I know the CRF-250X seems to 'feel' a lot lighter than my KDX-220R when both are full and ready to roll, and has the CRF a higher centre of gravity, my KDX is a tall old stick the CRF is a low in comparison, but it maybe me?

kmccune: When you rode the CRF-250X did it 'feel' heavier to you and top heavy, wasn't a 450 per chance ;)

cheers for now

Last edited:

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
I still have my 97 KDX220, though I just ride my 06' KTM 250XC... The KDX is up for sale, but I will miss it... I might have bought a 06 KDX 220 vs the KTM, but no 220 in 06'...

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
KDX CRAZY said:
Spares should still be available for at least another 8 years , KTM is the only manufacturer still improving and building 2 strokes .
I will probably p/u another down the road, BUT, since Kawasaki Dropped the KDX, KTM jumped right in with the KTM250F Enduro. Those idiots across the pond, didn't see that one coming......Shame on us

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
Sad Story with the 2T

I know this should probably be on a different thread but there are fuel injected two stroke motors out there as we speak that have lower emissions than 4 strokes they are lighter and more powerful, more reliable, use hardly any mix oil (100:1). Problem is they are six cylinder outboard boat motors. The technology is readily available but the big four cowered down to the EPA and took the easy way out with the heavy less reliable harder and more expensive to work on 4 strokes. But I guess it's money in they're pockets when the recommended top end rebuild and piston replacement is only 50 hours on a new Honda CRF that would be about every 3 months for me. Uhuh no way. Maybe the hope is with GasGas or KTM's 2 stroke development. :pissed:

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
glad2ride said:
I am going to just keep riding mine, like normal.

Same. I had mine up for sale, but a '96 KDX200 is going to bring $1000-1300 and for that price, I think I'll just keep it. It's dead reliable, runs great, is hopped up to my preferences, I know the bike, I"m not racing, so why not just keep it?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
NM_KDX200 said:
Same. I had mine up for sale, but a '96 KDX200 is going to bring $1000-1300 and for that price, I think I'll just keep it. It's dead reliable, runs great, is hopped up to my preferences, I know the bike, I"m not racing, so why not just keep it?

That's why I still have my KDX. It's still fun to ride. Plus I can take the KTM down for maintenance without having it cut into my weekend ride schedule.

Anyone heard what Jeff Fredette will be racing for '07?

Top Bottom