So the KDX is officially dropped by Kawasaki. What are you going to do?

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
I cant see anything on bikepics ????

Post the pic if you have it .

If anybody has a pic then they would have had to be running around Japan taking spy shots as the bike as it is still being built .

It will apparantly be shown for the first time at the Intermot show in September this year .

More than likely only get shipped out in the new year .

Apparantly will have the KX450 motor .

Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
I heard something very intresting this morning, that the kdx 450 will probably be the exact thing that fredette was racing at the world enduro: kxf 450 with woods friendly suspension, wide ratio trans and maybe something to change power band to low end power instead of higher end power

Last edited:

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Lukekelly said:
I heard something very intresting this morning, that the kdx 450 will probably be the exact thing that fredette was racing at the world enduro: kxf 450 with woods friendly suspension, wide ratio trans and maybe something to change power band to low end power instead of higher end power

I sometimes pop over to the 'thumper central' forum and if I read correctly, it would appear the Kawasaki (Suzuki?) 250/450 aren't lacking in ooomph and anything else in the way of performance but can be a bit of a 'grenade' in the reliablity department :yikes:

...make an interesting s/h purchase......

granby607

Jun 12, 2002
I've been racing 5 yrs now and have seen many 4 stroke riders go BACK to lighter, better starting 2 strokes during the last yr.
Own an '02 200 exc now, and will own another next. Never let me down.

bake

Sep 20, 2001
I will go KTM 250 exc or Honda cr250x, probably the Honda as I miss the raw torque of a 4 stroke, shame about Kawasaki's decission.

AZRickD

Jun 6, 2006
Well, at least Kawasaki hasn't totally abandoned the trail.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/23september06_klx450r.htm

Looks like they've tuned it as a purpose-built off-roader, kinda-maybe like the KDX in 4T trim.

Kawasaki engineers have combined revisions in cam lift and timing in order to boost low and mid-range torque. Adding to the special characteristics of this engine are a heavier flywheel with double the mass of the KX450F’s unit and a wide-ratio five-speed transmission with gears that have been specifically selected for off-road competition.

The Kayaba AOS inverted fork provides superb damping and steering precision with tuning specifically optimized for light, easy handling characteristics. Oil and air are kept in separate chambers for stable damping performance during long events and low-friction seals contribute to smooth fork action.

The KLX450R’s chassis has been specially set-up to be nimble while negotiating narrow trails or maneuvering between rocks and trees.

In fact, a fully-equipped KLX450R only weighs about 22 pounds more than the KX450F.
:shock:

But can you imagine these mechanicals with a torquey (ie, not a KX-like) 250 or 300 2-stroke? Call it a KDX 300? :)

Ain't gonna happen... which is why after a couple of years, my next bike will likely be a KTM 250 or 300. Gas Gas? I dunno.

092306_450_top.jpg
:shock:

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I agree. No heavy thumper for me. I've ridden those bikes and don't like the feel. Maybe you have to get used to it, but why when you can go out and get a KTM 200 which is light, powerful, lets you ride faster and doesnt tire you out. I dont want a big tractor that is heavy on maintenance and expensive at that. KTM is definitley the new era KDX!

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I'll probably stick with CR250s as long as they are around. (It's really amazing how well a MX racer works on the trails with a few mods.) KTM and Gas-Gas oil burners are nice on paper but I'm wary of Euro bikes after getting burned by KTM.

chrischaos

Aug 2, 2004
The KDX isn't dead!! I just converted the front end of my 89 KDX 200 over to a 95 KX 250. There's lot's of life left. :nener: I have a 99 YZ400F and love to take the KDX out for a scream. It's a keeper! :nod:

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I'll probably keep riding my 2000 KDX until the start of the new decade. There is nothing wrong with my bike and it still feels modern to me.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
My KDX200 is a keeper just like my RMX250. Once you dial in the suspension and unplug them these bikes are truely amazing. Thus, no new thumper for me.

Maico500

Dec 31, 2006
Another option for new '07 2 stroke, Maico 320

Here is another option for the 2 stroke guys left out by the Japanese. Maybe if enough of us stop buying Japanese, they will get the message. These Maicos are very trick, with the latest suspension, all of them have power valves, even the 500/620/680. They also have hyd. clutches and Brembo brakes. I have a 2004 Maico 500, but it is a MX version, but I still use it for trail riding, not the best thing in the world for tight trails, but still ok. Works much better for MX though. If you look at these bikes closely, you will see that this is what ATK was selling as the ATK 700 Intimidator. It is the same bike as Maico has had out for the last 8 years, but they have always called it the 680, as that is the true engine cc's. These bikes are available as 250/320/500/620/680 , ranging in horsepower from 54 on the 250 to 82 on the 680! If any of you would like more info, or to buy one just email me offline link to Maico is koestler-bikeworld.de/english

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Well my 1990 still scares me.The only replacement I would want is my motor in a KX125 chassis.

I agree. The KDX motor is great, everybody universally acknowleges this. The bike however is way dated most acknowlege this. It does not mean that it is not a great bike mind you but MX'ers get updated every single year. KDX had a minor change every blue moon.

The KDX swap into a KX is a great ride. Once can get into a used KX with no motor for about $300. There is one on the online auction begining with E and ending in bay(a 1995) as of 1-1-06. While the 95 KX is a dinasour compared to even the early 2000 kx bikes, it is quite a bit more advanced than the KDX which is mostly unchanged since the 80's.

It can be done very cheaply, the conversion if one wants to go back to the mid 90's for a donor. I settled for the 99-01 era myself.

NoBs.

Feb 18, 2023
Same. I had mine up for sale, but a '96 KDX200 is going to bring $1000-1300 and for that price, I think I'll just keep it. It's dead reliable, runs great, is hopped up to my preferences, I know the bike, I"m not racing, so why not just keep it?

Probably no one on the other end but I have to chuckle at the price of $ 1000 to $ 1300 for the KDX... In 2023 there's no way you're buying one at that price in ridable condition.. Double the price and you're in the ballpark.. Some in so called " Mint " condition are $ 3500 to $ 6K though admittedly they sit for a long time before they sell.. Covid shortage leftover syndrome perhaps. There are very, and I mean, very few bikes especially dual sports that are available presently..

Chuck78

Feb 1, 2023
Hopefully for 2024 have "dropped" the new KDX! Presuming and hoping that they will be calling in a KDX300R at least... Maybe just a KX300X, sounds a bit drab...

Hopefully they'll have finished the 2-3 year development project of a Kawasaki 2-stroke 300cc counterbalanced fuel injected engine that they've been working on undercover for the most part. they're planning on putting it into the KX250F/KX450F chassis, presumably with a woods-valved suspension.

Top Bottom