So when will there be a competive female racing MX with the guys?

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Today seemed like a good day to bring this up, with the whole Danica Patrick thing, although it has been running through my mind alot lately, mainly because I have a 9 month little girl. So when do yall think there will be a female running MX/SX with guys? I think it is possible, it just is going to take the right lady, after all MX/SX isn't about brute strength, you don't need to be able to bench press 250lbs, it seems to me to be more of an overall conditioning. Ever take an aerobics class with a bunch of women and want fall down with exhaustion? I have. I know that only proves that I am out of shape though :laugh: . To me it just seems that women are almost made for this sport. Small, light, and tone is the way to go, almost like horse jockeys. I know there is a couple of females that are getting good coverage for being fast, but I want to see one running with big guys. Maybe not winning, but lets say they are consitently running top 5-10. What do you think :aj:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hopefully soon.. FWIW, back in 1986 i beleive, my neighbor, she qualified for a National :aj:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Some of the dominant women's MXers (Sue Fish was the first in the late '70s) have attempted to qualify for 125 nationals, but I didnt' think any ever made the main event.

I think someday a woman will qualify to start a national MX, but that is a long way from getting points (top 20) and a long, long way from consistantly running top 10.

BTW, there are other sports where endurance is more important than strength (soccer, for example), but the top women would struggle against the top men. I guess if more women compete eventually there will be more stand-out competitors, and the gap may close.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
dirt bike dave said:
Some of the dominant women's MXers (Sue Fish was the first in the late '70s) have attempted to qualify for 125 nationals, but I didnt' think any ever made the main event.

Look up Dorene Payne on WomensMXhistory.com It was back in 83 :ride:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ricky - I think I saw her race unsuccessfully in the qualifiers at Hangtown in '84 or '85. She was on a YZ490. I was not aware that she had qualified for a national.

BTW, someone should tell Sarah Whitmore - I read a recent quote of hers saying that though others had tried, she hoped to be the first woman to qualify for a national.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
She was also good in BMX, i remember her going too Japan for races and even being on the tv show CHIPS :laugh:

When i see her i'll ask if she was at Hangtown on a 490, probably was her..

As for the ladies racing, i hope they do try, either way, racin is racin and as long as they put in 100% im happy :)

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
There was that Steffi Bau, I think that was her name, from Italy. She intended to qualify for a national, but injuries stopped her. I think she did win some wma championships. I don't know if she is still in racing.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Correction I just googled her name it's stefy bau, she's got a pretty cool website, but not for us dial up people. She is still racing in the US.

Top Bottom