Uhhh...
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by kiwi_925
why didnt he win the 500 class?? It is the premier class.

You are kidding of course. The japs haven't updated their 500's in what 10 years?

250 is the Blue Ribbon class now and has been for at least a decade. Remember when Everts lapped Smets?

More horses doen't always mean faster.

morlock

Mar 28, 2001
What has made JMB so unique versus any contemporary foreign rider?It is the fact that he brought his own speed to the field,no time needed to "adapt"to the series.He pretty much set new standards in mx and sx.That is what I define"class".

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
07, just cos the japs may not have developed a 500 in 10 years who cares!! I dont. As for your last comment about more horses doesnt mean more power... well also a open track doesnt mean fast speeds does it?? If they had more open tracks of course the 500 class bikes would go faster, but that aint the way things are. As for Everts Lapping Smets, when did that happen??

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
One word..........Hannah! In his prime, he could have beaten anyone he had the desire to beat.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Who can deny DeCoster's greatness? He's the best thing that ever happened to motocross, considering his style, his determination, his long championship reign, and his personal charm, which has allowed him to be the sport's best ambassador for years.

Still, that being said, I have always favored Joel Robert, who, by the way, won more world championships than DeCoster (six versus five). Admittedly, Joel rode the 250s, but he had some great competition (Sylvain Geboers, et al.). And when they raced together in the old Inter-Am series, Joel usually came out on top. I personally saw him smoke Roger D in two motos at Saddleback Park in 1970 (I think; or 1971). Nobody could touch Joel; he was so blindingly fast nobody else was even close. He was built like McGrath, short and stocky (a little stockier), and he had MC's ability to beat everybody on sheer talent without training too much. I like DeCoster's work ethic better than Joel's, but on sheer talent and ability, I think Joel wins.

And he would have smoked JMB.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Robert smoked cigars between motos, and stocky doesn't quite do justice to his physique! There were rumors about some hard drinking! I love the guy!! Arguably. . . no, I believe definately the most naturally talented rider of all time!

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Yeah. After he smoked DeCoster at Saddleback, I saw him in the pits, cigar in one hand, Coors (not a Coors light, either) in the other, waiting for the next moto. Amazing talent.

Still, fat as he was, and with his wayward training habits, he could ride hard for two 45-minute motos over natural terrain, something I think a lot of our top stars would have a tough time doing today.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Gary Bailey? Never! :silly:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by wfo74
Gary Bailey? Never! :silly:
Maybe not. But Gary Bailey could have taught somebody how to beat JMB.:)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
i think when at his peak JMB did something few could imagine, he had world titles and backed it up with ama ones in his first fullyear-winning all of them he entered. It would take a modern champ to be at his peak to compete against that.Also JMB is the only one to go into world road race at the highest level-he never did any local championships-with a better bike he could have done really well.

Can you even think of a top road racer coming into AMA SX 250 championships and doing even half good?

BTW we hate the french so this is no stick to the euro side, also people should try to get a tape of JMB riding-he makes even reed/MC look ragged.

Last edited:

brit yz125

Jan 7, 2005
marcusgunby said:
Can you even think of a top road racer coming into AMA SX 250 championships and doing even half good?

Never bet against Rossi! (Even though Barros beat him today :bang: )

But seriously, I have got videos from the '89 & '90 AMA Outdoors, and they are amazing to watch. Bayle put a lot of american noses out! Its good to watch the old footage of Stanton, Bradshaw, Ward, Cooper etc. on 500's!

rmrida716

Dec 19, 2004
smets or everts?

how could anyone consider joel smets of stephan everts the greatest rideer of all time? remember in the motocross des nations when carmichael crashed and still got up and passed both and won by aobut ten seconds. and that '97 season by jeff emig was also incredible.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
If I remember right, JMB was making a habit of getting his ass handed to him his last year in MX/SX...so, who could have beaten him? Well, Bradshaw did...Stanton did....etc. In 92 SX, JMB won 2 races and did not finish on the podium. ;) Marcus, you're the one preaching about consistency? Well, there ya go. Championship 1 year, 2 wins the next and no podium. I wouldn't put JMB anywhere near the top 5 in my book.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Judging JMB's career soley on his last year's results is not fair. Just about every rider has a big drop off their last year. In Bayle's case, he had already decided to go GP road racing and I doubt he was 100% committed to MX/SX.

The guy was a great rider.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
JMB had one of those magical years back in 91, just like MC in 95 SX, or RC's two perfect seasons. These things happen, and it's rare.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
JMB put about 25% effort into his last season, he was very unhappy and said so, he was looking at the road bikes already, he still won a few even though he didnt really try, i seem to remember him not wanting bradshaw to win one race and he went by him like he was putting on full braking, upto near the end of the race he just cruised behind him, look at JMBs title count then compare to bradshawsJMB did definatly not win one title -he won them all one year as well as world gp titles.Thats puts him way up there.

It does look like im totally euro focused but im amazed by what RC has done, and i think many US racers are unreal like Johnson etc.Bubba could be faster than all of them, and seems to have telent in abundance, but hes not a hero as yet, hes just a super talented 125 title holder for now.

I like to give credit where its due, RC deserves it, the world gp winners who risk it all in the ama series(in the sx mainly) deserve alot more credit than many US people give them, can you say any of them are slow and do not show they are worthy title holders? many have won ama titles to prove they are indeed the fastest riders in the world, but still they get little respect. :|

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
You can wipe your butt with ANY of the "world" titles in comparison to ANY of the AMA championships.

I don't recall any world title holder who has come over and done anything but get his ass handed to him in the AMA.

If you're not using slick tires and riding on pavement, world titles are meaningless.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
In JMB's best race I still see him a full minute behind RC in outdoor MX......MC would pass JMB staying low over the triples and throw in a nac nac for good measure.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
mtk said:
You can wipe your butt with ANY of the "world" titles in comparison to ANY of the AMA championships.

I don't recall any world title holder who has come over and done anything but get his ass handed to him in the AMA.

If you're not using slick tires and riding on pavement, world titles are meaningless.

So what do you think of Lackey, LaPorte, and Parker?

And more to the topic at hand; JMB done purty good over here.

Seems Langston has a couple of titles as well.

I'm thinking that more world champs have AMA titles than Americans have world titles.

It's tough over there.

Top Bottom