jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I've heard recently that it's good practice to soak your chain in some type of oil or lubricant. I oil my chain usually after any time when the chain is saturated in mud and I have to blast it off. I use Bel Ray Chain Lube for O-Ring chains. When winter comes, I was thinking of taking off my chain and letting it soak in transmission oil or something like that for a few days so that it's totally lubed up and ready for riding next year.

First off, I wondered if this was a good idea, and secondly, if it is, how should I go about doing this?

Thanks for any help.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Not really necessary with O-ring chains, as the o-rings will prevent oil from getting into the chain rollers anyways. The procedure was intended for non-o-ring applications in most cases.

Just keep it clean (stiff brush and soapy water, or Simple Green), and free of rust. Avoid "blasting" with pressure washer, you may be doing more harm than good.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I've had good luck with rags soaked in mineral spirits & a lot of muscle to get caked, dried mud off with out too much abrasion against O-rings.

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
o-ring chains are designed to be low maintenance. Let the mud dry and fling off. Gently power or hose wash. Then spray on wd-40 or equivalent. Done.

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I stopped using chain lube on my o-ring chains. Personally I think that it only harms the chain by attracting dirt. I have used about every type of lube and they all pick up dirt. Plus they all throw some amount of lube on the bike. Now I am just using wd-40, during practice or racing I will spray the chain inbetween races, wd 40 doesnt seem to pick much dirt. When I get home I powerwash the chain with a mist (not a stream, that will push water and dirt by the orings) setting after I wash the chain with a brush and soapy water. Then I apply wd 40 to the chain, and wipe off with a papertowel. My chains last a long time and look new all the time.

Top Bottom