Soaking up the suspesion on take off

MX823

Nov 8, 2001
Over the weekend I realized I am soaking up the suspension on up hill jump faces. I am having to travel at greater speeds to clear the same obstacle as the guy in front of me.

On appraoch to the lip I seem to be sucking up the bike with my legs and not getting the proper rebound out of the bike to cleanly clear the uphill table.....

Does anyone have any technique, method or drills to correct this.....I guess I have reached step 1 in realizing problem, I am cognizant but I still need to comeup with something.... and I know by saying keep legs straight is the fix, but for some reason it just doesn't happen

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
instead try doing the opposite. Come up to the jump crouched, and when you get near the lip stand up real fast and slam the bike into the face. You will get alot more air that way.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Hey Gomer, it works naturally for us big fat guys too huh.. I know guys clearing jumps easily in 3rd on a 125 were I have to hit it completely wound out in 3rd. Some other jumps for example, I can barely clear WFO in 3rd while my buddy can clear them in 2nd on his '01 CR250.

Use this to an advantage, you can pass them in the air since you're carrying more momentum.

MX823

Nov 8, 2001
Well I do know it is faster, but I am still coming up short........and the absorbing the face on this jump is unintentional......It just has to do with my body position on that terrain/obstacle.

What I need to do is change my body positioning, it is a 35' up hill face with about 50 'table. There is no lip on the face it is rounded.

I am on a 125, so I could not power through it,
watching some of the 250's it looked more like an airplane leaving the ground than it did a bike jumping

Generally , do clear it when it is dry since the bike maintains the power and the momentum carries me, but with it being winter in the north east the ground is not true mud, but is a soft consitency

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
it is a 35' up hill face with about 50 'table. There is no lip on the face it is rounded.
From that description, I would say that your suspension probably doesn't even play a part in the takeoff.

For a jump like that, I would try to stay as far forward as possible so that you can be fully on the gas all the way through takeoff.

Top Bottom