SoCa Los Padres Forest Ride, Sat. April 6th

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Los Padres Nat'l Forest trails. Stage @ Edison campground, 9am this Sat. morning, April 6th.

Ride up East Frazer (sp) to the top, then down Eel's fav. (?!) trail, in memory of TTRGuy & GSR: Arrastra. Connect to Tejon, head west & try the others on the way west side. Loop back the same way exc. take What-A-Trail to the top again, then back down East Frazer.

(Choose one only:) Bring Forest Adventure Pass, or pay for forest or HVSRA day-use fee at main entrance off of Peace Valley road.

Spark arresters & green/red sickers rq'd. (Don't be no fool!)

Directions: I-5 north out of San Fernando Valley/Los Angeles. Take Gorman off ramp. Turn Left under freeway, then immediate right after golden arches (or Carls Jr. or Burger King?) onto Peace Valley Rd. ~1.5-2 mi. on let hand side is entrance to HVSRA. Go thru/by booth if empty (before 9am) then up over pass; 1st campground on left is Edison. Look for white T-100 xtra cab w/2 yellow bikes.

How 'bout it, Eel, thumbs, scar, Jeff, Elk, William, Jack, Terry, bundy, MCassle, old & slo, holeshot, gyros, EMrider, LT, 'boy, brettr, Kiwi, etc.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
One more week of PT for me before I'm back on the bike - have fun.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No sparky for me, sorry. I'll have to stay local for a while.
Elk

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Maybe, but that's all I got :)

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Sorry, I'm still nursing brused ribs and a sore wrist (my bad one) from the Red Mt. hare scramble. Must save strength for the Nt'l Hare & Hound at Lucerne/Johnson Valley on the 28th. Anyone want to go? I'm going to try and stay on the bike more this time, heh. After a taste of racing, I'm a desert fiend.

I forgot to mention what messed up ribs feel like n'case you haven't found out... "cough, cough - ouch, ouch" "ahh-choo - OOUUCH! Ohhhh man..."

Elk, just take your badge and tape it to the silencer. :debil:

Last edited:

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
Is anyone else interested in getting together for a track ride. I am still trying to get together with some people out here to ride. I am wanting to try somewhere new like Perris, but would be willing to try others.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Man John I want to go real bad, but I had a hernia operation a week ago :scream: sore, sore, oh ho man I'm sore...it'll be six weeks of no physical straining of any kind. Next ride I'm going to do is the D37 qualifer at Gorman, anyone else going to do that one?

Bummer I can't make it, because I really want to go with someone that knows the area & trails. I've tried to go up Arrastra and got stuck at that nasty root, and had to turn around. I've only done Tejon about a half dozen times, and that's it for the Los Padres trails. Count me in next time for sure (assuming some doctor hasn't hacked on me)

Matt

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i will assume that my FMF shorty silencer is forest legal either, add that into the fact my stickers havent come in the post yet, i think it will be a very long drive just to get turned around by Mr Ranger!

elk and kawi boy, i might be up for a track ride, i am thinking friday morning again, but i cant commit 100% just yet. or what about saturday morning? i would assume the local tracks will be too full, but is there anywhere more local where we can do some fun riding?

cheers

bruce

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Sorry to continue the trend here but I'm out too. My daughter's B-day is the 6th and that definately trumps riding. Bummer too because I've wanted to ride those trails with some experienced guidance for a long time.

With the days about to get longer (finally), I'm interested in doing some mid-week afternoon rides (Thurs/Fri are best days). Likely venues are Rowher/Drinkwater/Gorman, although I would be game for trying some MX at local tracks. Anyone else able/interested in joining?

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Howdy EM rider , I work shift-work so my days off rotate throughout the days of the week. After I heal up I'd be interested in Thursday or Friday rides at Gorman. Getting out in the middle of the week is a whole lot easier for me than getting a weekend off, so most of the time I end up riding by myself (which isn't always a good idea). Always looking for people to ride with that can get weekdays off.

I havn't been to Rowher or Drinkwater, where & how are those areas vs. Gorman?

Matt

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
IMO Rowher & Drinkwater are not worth the additional drive for you MCassle. Rowher is off Hwy 14 at the Santa Clarita exit if I remember correctly. Drinkwater is on the other side of the ridge/road from Rowher.

Brian

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'll see you there ... can't wait to show you a new loop Jack and I stumbled across ... the centrepiece is YellowJacket Canyon Trail. :debil:

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Hi Matt,
If you're willing/able to drive all the way from Fresno, I'd be happy to meet for a mid-week Gorman ride. It's much easier to get spouse approval during the week than on the weekend. With advance warning and an early start, I'm usually able to bail from work about 11am, so I can be up there and ready to ride between 12noon and 1230pm. Isn't that about a 165 mile drive for you?

As NF mentioned, Rowher and Drinkwater are south of Gorman about 15-30min. I would fully agree that riding conditions are better and more varied at Gorman, but the other areas are closer to my house. They are also more challenging and once in awhile that can be fun.

I'm traveling on biz for the next week or so. What's your availability on the 18th or 19th of April?

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
:( Dang too bad we can't make it. You know we'd be there for sure. It doesn't look like the locals around here want to play with us next weekend either ;) Have fun guys.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
John - Sounds like fun but I can't make it. I'll be in Palm Springs for the weekend. I might try to hit Beaumont on my way home Sunday afternoon and check out the P3.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
:(
It doesn't look like the locals around here want to play with us next weekend either ;) Have fun guys.

TTRGuy. They musta heard how fast you and Speedy are. See, you shoulda never left. :confused:

John. Not going to make it this weekend. Was going to plan a Corona ride, but some business came up. Also, we need a little rain around here before we put on a ride with more than 2-3 riders. It's a little dusty right now.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
This is Drill weekend for me so no can do. Eel, was that stumbled across or stumbled through? A little heads up ... yellowjacket is skid plate country!

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
EM Rider

I can't ride anything until the middle of May, I'm healing up from a minor surgery, six weeks of no lifting what-so-ever.

Gorman is a drive for me, but I like that area alot. I used to live in Bakersfield and frequented Hungry Valley alot. Since I was by myself 75% of the time, I didn't vention to deep into the Los Padres forest trails, those are tough trails. I'd do Tejon without worry, but the others I've been on I've turned around due to being by myself...just being catious. That's what bums me out, I'd like to go on a trail ride with others that know this area well. Next time count me in.

Can anyone here make it up Arrastra trail past that nasty one-two foot tall root?

Matt

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
MCassle - GSR and I both made it up Arrastra past the tree root you mentioned in the SNOW even. But it wasn't easy, a whole lot of fun or pretty. I can't remember if the horribly impossible (in snow at least) switchback that is about a 150 degree turn with the nasty narrow ledge of rocks is right before or after that but its just as hard. I don't reccomend either one by yourself or in the snow. If you go off the edge of the cliff, well you know - you've seen it.

Top Bottom