Jul 8, 2007
soldering cracked exhaust

my exhaust pipe is definitly off warranty and i was wondering if soldering the pea sized hole and the weld crack would work. I wasnt sure becuase of the solders low melting point but the hole is burning the paint off my frame (i dont really care since the bikes paint job was done with spray paint) but im worried about rust and im planning on selling my 1986 Honda cr 80 soon, for what i can get out of it anyways

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Solder won't work, but a braze will. A MAPP toch available at hardware stores should be hot enough to do some brazing with brass or silver brazing alloys. I have personally made brazed repairs on pipes using silver alloys. I generally prefer to weld first because you cannot weld on an area that has been previously brazed.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
NO, he means MAPP not Propane.

And depending on where the crack is, it may not work.

You are better off taking the pipe to a competent welder, you'll probably spend just as much on materials to do it yourself anyway.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The only reason I do brazed repairs on pipes is when the pipe was brazed previously. Many pipes have brazed on brackets and spring mounts. Any repairs in those areas have to be brazed.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I split my pipe out on a trail right on the side, I welded it, but I have exp. welding. Take the advise take it into a welding shop or even a metal shop that makes yard art and those guys will weld it up for free. It sounds like it is so small I dont even know if a welding shop would charge you for it.

May 12, 2007
what is the average temp of a running exhaust pipe? If i knew i could give you some ideas on what type of materials to use. 95/5 (TIN/ANTIMONY) has a melting point of around 625 degrees farenheit, or silphos has a melting point of around 1200 degrees(SILVER PHOSPAHTE), you could use a acetlene turbo torch, but those run around $300. If you have access to a TIG that would be the best, if i'm not mistaken most pipes are stainless steel.

Jul 8, 2007
well my stepdad suggested this stuff called JB welding i believe, and its like a liquid way of welding metal together you have two tubes of liquid and you combine them on the metal to weld it. I think ill try that its supposed to be high temp also. And love to learn how to TIG weld

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Melvin Linsphere said:
well my stepdad suggested this stuff called JB welding

JB Weld will eventually fall off. It will not expand and contract with the heating and cooling of the pipe.
Just take your pipe to a welder and have it fixed right. It's not rocket surgery or nuthin'. :whoa:

Most stock pipes are mild steel. Any weld shop can weld it.

May 12, 2007
jb high temp will work just make sure you clean the pipe :ride: good

the stuff i used is speacially designed for exhaust components, but don't fix holes or dents bigger than a dime
:bang:

Convert

Apr 21, 2007
Why is it when someone offers excellent advice.....
Ol'89r said:
JB Weld will eventually fall off. It will not expand and contract with the heating and cooling of the pipe.
Just take your pipe to a welder and have it fixed right. It's not rocket surgery or nuthin'. :whoa:

Most stock pipes are mild steel. Any weld shop can weld it.

.....someone else follows up with another piece of advice that is half baked? :|

JB weld is not sufficient

Last edited:
Top Bottom