Soft forks.. Why?

mrbigal81

Nov 3, 2001
My forks were really soft and would easly bottom out on my 89 cr500. I tried every adjustment on them but nothing would help. I then took them apart for a rebuild but all the parts are in good shape. The "sliders" don't show any wear on them and the seals are fine. Why are the forks so soft?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What is your oil level? Did you try raising it? A higher oil level should dramatically improve bottoming resistance.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The 1990 cr500 and a few years newer, all used very soft springs-i set up a pair for a 210lb rider and just used springs for his weight and he was happy-had to revalve the rebound to control the stiffer spring but other than that no changes.

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
if you do both at the same time you will not know what adjustment did what.add oil first, almost free. if not happy change springs but only after determining what springs are in it now. previous owner may have info on mods he made. if you act blindly you will probably bump your nose!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…