keithcrowe

Nov 11, 2005
hey gentleman,,i'am riding a 02 kdx 200 in the woods only and have never done any suspension work ,and just this winter the forks seem to have gotten very soft...I was told at the local KAW dearlership that the only thing i could do is change out the springs to stifer springs,,,can a spacer of some sort be placed in the fork tubes to make up for the weak springs??? OR what other options do i have??? without spending a load of money..
thanks for the help!!!

i almost forgot to mention that i weight 190 lbs , if that makes a difference

Last edited:

Tusk

Apr 5, 2006
Since you didn't mention it. Have you adjusted the compression dampening and/or preload? How about just changing the oil (either recommended or heavier weight oil)?

Those'll get you some different results at a very low to no cost. If your springs are sacked, I've heard of putting in XR400 springs as a heavier option.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Lots of threads on here about springs and it is a great thing to do. I use and recommend the XR400 springs that are longer and stiffer. Yes, you have to make a different spacer, but that is easy--either cut down the one you have or make a new one from pvc pipe. Different years of XR400s have different spring rates so get the one best for your weight. Should get this done for $50. One of the best things you can do easy and cheap to help your bike. (Jetting is the other) This spring/fork mod will help you stay out of the hospital too--just ask a few old members. Cheers John

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Read up on all the spring threads and click the stickys at the top of this forum, then follow the rout that suits you best. My springs cost $40.00 and the spacers were free.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
You can change the springs yourself with basic tools. If you don't have a manual, then get one before you attempt this job, otherwise you will live to regret it! Manual has very good step-by-step assembly/disassembly instructions and drawings. This will also be a good time to change the fork oil. Search this forum, and you'll find lots of detailed info about KDX fork procedures.

The only special tool that you may want to make yourself to simplify this job is a spring holder. Take a small piece of steel or aluminum, about 3" x 3" by 1/16 thick. Cut a U-shaped slot from the middle of one of the 4 sides to the center. Make the width of the slot just a little over 10mm. You will slip this holder under the rod nut as you compress the spring with your other hand.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
blackduc98 said:
The only special tool that you may want to make yourself to simplify this job is a spring holder.

thats a good tip, right there :nod:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Simply adding more pre-load will help some, but can make the forks harsh on sharp rocks and roots without really improving stiffness as you get deeper into the travel.

Adding fork oil will greatly improve bottoming resistance and make the forks much stiffer at the very last part of the travel.

One inexpensive way to stiffen the forks is to cut a few coils off your existing springs. If you remove 10% of the spaces between the coils, the springs will get 10% stiffer. Measure the remaining spaces before you cut the springs to ensure you will not have coil bind at full compression of the suspension. If you shorten the springs, you will need to add more lengtt to your pre-load spacer. Some people cut PVC pipe to fit as a spacer, others use stacks of washers.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Just save up and buy some aftermarket springs. XR400R springs would be an improvement, but still not quite as stiff as what would be best.

Cutting 10% off a spring doesn't make it 10% stiffer. For example, cutting 50% off makes it 100% stiffer. Shorter IS stiffer, but since the stock springs are so short already (plus super preloaded), just get some correct springs.

jakenepa

Feb 26, 2006
heavy preload on your fork springs,right from the factory is done to make up for light springs(for a 130 lb. rider),and makes for very poor suspension, especially on sharp bumps like roots and rocks. i recommend getting your suspension revalved, front and rear and getting the correct springs for your riding weight with gear. this will balance your suspension, and the change is night and day.
especially if you get mods done to your kdx for more power, at that point ,the inadaquate suspension is more pronounced.

Top Bottom