Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
on my 250f, the front brakes always seem to be soft. i mean soft when i go to pull the lever in, you have to really pull it in to the point to where the lever almost touches the grip. i tried bleeding the line, i gravity bled it one night to see if that would help, neither worked. the front pads are still about 50% new. my friend had a similar problem with his 2000 yz 125, he got rid of it before he fixed it though so he doesnt know what was wrong with his either. what do you guys think, maybe a bad master cyl.?

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
get a re-build kit they are like 35 bucks. replace the fluid. if you get just a little piece of sand it can damage the seal. and get some fresh pads then go do some nose wheelies.

Btw: get a vac pump way easier, and maybee a steel braided cable and CR routing is sweet. I set mine up this way and it stops great.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Could you have gotten something on the front disc like wd-40?
Before you tear into the brake system, try cleaning the disc with a degreaser and take the pads out and rough them up on some sandpaper.
Re-install and see if that helps.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
yes get a vac bleeder!! Use brake fluid from a new un-opened bottle and start sucking. Also if the caliper isn't floating correctly the brakes won't ever feel right.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding. the brakes have felt this was for awhile now, i cant even remember them ever feeling really good, i have been just dealing with it. i dont think there is anything on the rotor like wd-40, i always wash the bike really good with a degreaser/cleaner. i can use the bleeder at work someday and see what it does, i work at a texaco garage. thanks for the advice though.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I have just fitted a 03 KX caliper to my 04RM125 to give me stronger brakes-my rm has the same caliper as the YZ and it just isnt as strong as the 03/04 KX front brake(no brake is)it bolted straight up.I will give you a report on it when i race this weekend.

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
I had a similar problem with my 96 yz, where I had almost no brakes in front. My brake pads where still 75% good. I'm pretty sure the problem was linked to having sprayed or simple green or tire shine on the brake rotor. (I wanted to take somee pics, so I wanted her to shine.I guess some of it(not sure wich) dripped onto the pads and got soaked up.) Anyways, i got a new set of sintered metal brake pads and that fixed the problem. You might want to check that there is no leak at the master's piston and that the diaphragm is not torn or cracked.

Eric

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
can a degraeser/cleaner like simple green cause that to happen? i use a lot of purple power degraeser/cleaner when i wash my bike. i spary that stuff all over the place, i make sure i cover every spot on that bike. i never even thought that could be the problem. i might have to look into that.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom