soft mushy brakes on 02 yzf 250, need help

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
this has been an problem off and on problem with this bike since i have owned it, and i dont know what to do. it feels like there is air in the line but when i bleed it no air bubbles come out. could it possibly be the master cylinder? i know there are rebuild kits for them but i dont know how complicted the job is. if my pads are wearing out could that cause this problem? i noticed in the past couple weeks that they would just get mushier and softer eveytime i ride. im confused.

kx134

May 4, 2004
yeah it probably is your MC, if you are sure you are bleeding the line correctly. is it your front or back?

I just had my MC done at the shop and including new pad and pin it was 140. the kit was only like 10 bucks, the labor was an hour or so.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sometimes it is very difficult to get a bubble out by bleeding. I have had success removing the master cylinder, hose and caliper from the bike. Hang it straight on a wall for a few days, tapping the hose every so often to knock the bubbles loose.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
If the pins that the caliper slides on become loose or dirty it can give a soft lever. Check them for tightness, then clean them thouroughly and lube with waterproof grease.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding guys. im gonna buy a new set of pads and pins and then bleed them again. im so frustrated with this bike, the back brakes are the same as the front, they are mushy. i let you guys know how everything turns out.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Change the fluid and bleed them as well as you can.

I then apply the brake and duct tape the lever to the handlebar. Leave this for a few hours. When you cut the tape off, the brake should feel better.

I think this leaves the system open. It allows the air to move upwards and get out of the system.

No matter how, this really works.

Top Bottom