softening the forks.....easily?

creric

May 25, 2001
Is there a quick way to soften the front suspension without changing springs or anything like that. They are not too bad, just a little stiff. I was just wanting to make em a little more plush.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Try backing out the compression clicker, this may give you the effect you are looking for. Check your manual for their location. I don't remember, off hand, what forks were on your bike.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Maybe a lighter wieght of suspention oil would do the trick?
Or a little less of it?
From what i understand a lighter weight (ie #5) oil will give a softer ride, and a heavier (ie # 20) will make the ride more harsh.

If thats true though i think i need 200 weight! :scream:
Or maybe gear oil.......:eek: :eek:

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
removing fluid

I believe the oil level has the most impact near the end of the stroke, so less fuid, more easily bottoms, more fluid less bottoming.

5 -10cc's at a time makes alot of difference. To add it you can simply add it with a syrienge through the air bleed hole, to remove some you would have to remove the fork caps.

Mike

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Jeremy Wilkey
OAS,
The Vis. of fluid really only impacts clicker settings. Not so much highspeed.
Regards,
Jer

In my limited experience, I have noticed this too. Why is this? As you have said before, a valve stack is just another way of metering flow through an orifice. So why does there seem to be a difference between metering through the clicker (needle and seat) and through valve stack, with respect to oil viscosity? Is there some "law of fluid dynamics" that makes sense out of this :think ?

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Oh man, I'll Probably Make a Fool of Myself...

Because I haven't worked viscosity issues since way back at University, but here goes...

How about an analogy...

If I have a bucket of BBs and a bucket of birdshot (real small BBs for you hoplophobes) - lets say the BBs are heavy viscosity fluid and the bucket of birdshot are light viscosity. Now lets say I have a half inch water pipe and a small tube just bigger than the BB - the water pipe is the valve port and the small tube is the bleed port for the clicker.

If I use a funnel and try to pass the bucket of BBs through the small tube they will jam up and be hard to pass. The small birdshot will pass much easier. This is analogous to the heavier oil being more restricted to passage through the bleed (clicker). The size of the bleed orifice is small enough that the fluid molecule interactions that define viscosity affect flow.

If I use a funnel to pass the bucket of BBs through the water pipe, they will pass just about as fast as the birdshot did. This is analogous to fluid passage through the basevalve ports. The size of the fluid molecule is very small compared to the port so molecular interactions are not as dominant in port flow.

It's all in the interaction of the fluid molecules. (This is the part that's foggy) higher viscosity means that the molecular chains are longer or have an electical affinity or some other reason the molecules get tangled or held together resisting movement against one another.

And in case you haven't guessed, chemistry was my worst class. Maybe I would have done better if I had related everything to dirtbikes...:confused:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Thanks Mace! That make it clearer.

Hummm? so the smaller the opening the greater effect viscosity will have, and the bigger the opening, the less effect....

Getting back to thread a while back, about maximum shim deflection still being able to meter flow, I wonder....if the viscosity was too light (talking extremes here, not 5wt-7.5wt), or too heavy, you could effect where the metering was taking place, to a degree and what the maximum effective deflection would be? :think

Top Bottom