Sold my KDX-BOUGHT 00 CR125R-impressions!

89vett

Aug 6, 2000
I loved my 2000 kdx 220 dearly but I had the itch for a lighweight
motorcross bike.And I rode it in the woods for the first time and
was very impressed.But I will have to say this,for woods riding
the KDX cannot be beat.The CR is a awesome bike-plenty of power,but I am in 1st and 2nd gear now most of the time where on
the KDX I was in 2nd and 3rd.And I have to work the clutch a hell of alot more.But I still love the aluminum frame and ultra light weight of the CR.We still have a KDX in the family,my brother just bought a 1997 KDX 220 and it is kept at MY HOUSE.Lucky me!
My point-the KDX is still the king of the woods!Great bike.
89vett

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
a 125 ? How big/small are you ? I don't know too many folks that would think a 125 of any type would have enough balls in the woods. Fly-wheel weight or not. I'm looking forward to dulling down an RM or KX in the future because I miss the hit of my old RM. But for now I too am loving my KDX. Maybe in 2003 or so :) But the KDX is due for some improvements so I'm also holding out for that as well.

-MD

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
MADisher,

If you want to see someone FLY on a 125, you need to see my 14 yr old in action. He rides a basically stock RM125 (reeds, jetting, silencer), revalved by TrakControl, and he is one fast guy. For the season, he won the 200A Enduro season title and finished 7th overall (A & AA classes combined). Also, he is currently leading the 200A Hare Scrambles. Last year, I think two of the guys moving to AA class rode 125 motobikes. It can be done. :)

Myself, a 125 would not be for me; not enough grunt, but I DO like the light weight. I'll take the 250 motobike, please. :cool:

Last edited:

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
That's why I was askin, if he'a a 14 year old then a 125 might be for him :)

I kinda got the impression that he wasn't. My cousins (much younger than I) were riding 125's last year. They went to 250's this year (KTM and YZ), and one quickly jumped to a YZ426 :) He absolutely fly's on that thing. They are relatively small too 5'6 ish 140lbs or less.

I was just thinking that a larger person would not be so happy on a 125. They might enjoy some of the bennies in the beginning (weight, etc) but if they mostly ride woods would soon struggle with bigger hills, etc. I didn't mean to come off sounding like "What is wrong with you". :eek:

-Matt

Pathfinder4

Sep 4, 2001
Ive been riding for 30 years. Riding a 1996 KDX last two years and lately a yz250f. A great woods bike when set up. I just bought a new KDX220. You cant beat them for real woods riding.

PS my son also flies on a MX bike in the woods. Youth can do anything.

89vett

Aug 6, 2000
MAdisher,
I am 5'11, 170 lbs.I promise you I can ride faster on my CR125r in the
woods then I did on ANY of my KDX's(200 or 220).The CR may be a 125 but
it does have about 34hp and weighs 194lbs dry.That is a very good power to
weight ratio.My point was that the KDX was easier to ride in the woods than
my CR125r-the KDX is certainly not as fast.
89vett

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
you're supposed to keep the KDX like I did when I bought my CR :)
I'm going to try and turn this thing into a woods bike, but I know it'll never be the same as my trusty old KDX, I'll have to see once I get the honda reassembled though.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Dont forget to mention that that 34 hp dosnt peak untill about 11,000 rpm's, and thats what can get you in trouble in the woods. 125's are fast bike's, even in the desert they rip. I have seen faster lap times from the tiddler's (guy's like Ty Davis riding them) than some of the open class expert's. But they need to be ridin like you stoled it and the owner is on a KTM520 chasing you with a Greener shotgun. (double barreled 12 g.) What I mean is that to get anyware you need to gas it, keep the power in the higher rev's and that can wear you out in the rough stuff, it's a bike for the young and fit ! My 30 yr old riding buddy is getting tired of having to ride that way, he ride's a 96 CR125, after riding my YZ250F he said that it is much easer to ride a bike with a bit more bottom end and an easer user freindly power delivery than his 125. Thats one reason the KDX is such a good bike, easy to ride power, you may or may not be the fastest guy, but you will have one of the biggest smiles after a long ride !!:)

Top Bottom