Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Hey everyone, I sold my KDX recently and I want to get another bike. I definitley want a 4 stroke and I dont mind doing some maintanance but I dont want to have to rebuild every year. If possible I want to keep the price under $2500 but if I find the perfect bike I may pay a few hundred more.

Any ideas?

Joey

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
You price range rules out the new generation 4 stokes unless you find a good deal. If it is trail riding an XR 400 would be a good choice as it doesn't weigh much more then the XR 250 and has around the same peak power as a KDX (I said around no flames please :) ) indestructable too. Some of the older KTM 4 stokes will offer more perfomamce an I believe that you may find one find that price range. The XR 600 is also worth mentioning, but keep it on fire roads and out of tight woods if you a mere mortal like me.

Good Luck

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
What about a 2001 WR250F? I have seen a few go for around 2800-2900 and like I said if I found a good bike id spend a little more. I could spend 3500 but it would just take me alot longer to save up that money. I'll have 2 grand in a couple weeks and about $2500 in a couple more weeks. It would probably take another month or so to get up to $3000 but I can do it. Is the WR250F a good bike? I rode a yz250f and it was too fast and snappy for me. I would love the have that motor just a little less powerful and a little smoother. Is the WR what I am looking for?

Thanks,
Joey

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
If you can swing the extra cash the WR is a good bike and is also a modern 4 stroke, which really means that it is relatively lite handles better and is less tiring plus it will rev out if needed. As for the YZ 250F I have never ridden one but I have been told that the WR a little less aggressive then the YZ version. They can be made more YZ like in the power department as your ability/preferences change. If you are new to 4 stokes check out a hot start system for your 4 stroke as they can be a little hard to start when hot, I believe that the last two model years are good but beyond your stated budget. I forgot about the Yamaha and Suzuki 4 strokes in my earlier post good bukes but in the same performance ball park as the XRs. I'd say go for the WR, get a hot start system and read up on the starting procedure in the 4 stoke forum, they really do start better then in the olden daze :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I hate to say this but I found a 2001 Warrior 350 quad for $2000. I may ride it just to see what its like but I dont know if a quad is for me.

Joey

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
From a KDX to a couch! A turd of a 350 at that! :ohmy:

Really just kidding. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have fun on that thing....

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
Sold my kdx about a year ago, and bought a 2000 kx250 for 2300. I dont think your going to find a good 4-stroke for 2500, unless you want an xr :laugh: . What do you plan on riding, trails, mx... I would look at used 250s. you can get them cheap, and some are pretty easy to ride bikes. I couldn't be happier with my Kx, I love it! Good luck!

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I didnt buy a quad and I dont think I am going too. They are more expensive for a slower bike so I think a 2 wheeler is for me. When is the best time to buy a bike? Cycletrader around here doesnt have much in it these days. I kind of want to get a 4 stroke that I could put a dual sport kit on. I really still want a WR250F. I think I read that a YZ250F puts out around 33-34hp. An Xr400 puts out about 30hp. How much does the WR put out? I am not too concerned about the dual sport but it was just an idea that I may pursue in the future. I figure since I will have $2500 cash that I want to spend, I can find a bike for $2800 or so and talk my way down to my price. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Joey

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I think the YZ250F's were supose to be around 225 or so (but this is bone dry, add for engine oil, shock/fork oil and gas)) it is pretty much like a 2 stoke enduro bike in the weight department and quite a bit less then a XR 250.

Top Bottom