some cool thoughts from an MX outsider

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
A couple weeks back a friend of mine came out to a local race with his 10 yr old son. He had never really even heard of MX and didn't know what to expect but since I had given him passes and it was boys day out he looked forward to it. As he drove out he said there were thoughts that maybe hanging out with a bunch of bikers would not be the greatest thing for a 10 yr old but since he thinks that I am semi normal he continued on.
Once in the gates he was amazed to see whole families in the pits with most having Dad and the kids decked out in gear. He was even more surprised by the number of sisters and moms in gear.
Walking thru the pits his son was facinated by the bikes and against dads urging he would wander into the pit areas to look closer. Dad was amazed that not one person told him to leave but to the contrary invited him to look closer and answerred all his questions.
When I saw him last night he told me if he could have his football team (he coaches high school) full of these kids they would be awfully tuff to beat. He couldn't believe the crashes they would have and then jump right back on the bike and finish the race. His biggest observation tho was the sportsmanship :cool: he watched one moto where he was following rider #12 (only picked him out because that was his number in college football) and in a corner #12 got taken out (I explained later what a block pass is) by another guy passing him. #12 got up and took off but by the checkered flag #12 had again passed the other kid. Jim was near the finish exit and saw #12 stop and wait for the other kid and then motion him over. Jim thought ohno here comes trouble and moved closer but to his astonishment #12 was congratulating the other kid for a great ride and what a fun battle they had. I tried to explain to him that MX is a family and on the track almost anything goes to win but once the race is over the family kicks back in. I told him that more often then not a competitor will provide help and even parts to get someone else's bike going so they can mix it up on the track.
He just couldn't believe what he was seeing and hearing from the sportsmanship angle. He also said he wants to bring some of his players out to see that true sportsmanship isn't shaking hands as you laugh at a team you had beaten or grudgingly shaking hands after being beaten.

He wanted to pass along that he was amazed and pleased to see that at least one sport still values good sportsmanship while moving at top competition levels.
I want to pass this along as it hits home that no matter where you are riding there are people watching and soaking in the atmosphere. In order to keep our sport alive we need to keep winning people like Jim over to our side. He will probably never own a bike but he will also never now join a group opposing our rights to own dirtbikes :aj:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
mx is the only sport where a competitor will tell his rival exactly how to beat him. then when it happens, he congratulates him.

Top Bottom