some generic 4 Smoke questions.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
so, my crf250 is in the post and should be here next weekend.
fair to say that at the moment I am tentatively excited. looking forward to the ride and the fact it's my first 4 stroke and first Honda but after scanning this forum and looking at all the 2 vs 4 and tech articles etc I am nervous. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination so the thought of all the possible expenditures that could come my way is making me doubtful before i've even got it.

But, I was obsessive about my kx125 maintenance so even though i'm no mechanical expert i figure if i extend my obsessive maintenance schedule to my new four banger it should run well, so with that in mind I have a few questions.
(please remember I am a four stroke virgin)

1. oil changes are obviously important so how often should i be changing it in terms of hours of riding and how often should i change the oil filters?

2. air filters. i religiously cleaned and oiled my 2 smoke filters so how often should i change my filter on my four smoke? I was putting in a fresh filter every two rides/races on my 2 smoke.

3. What should i be looking to change on my crf from stock. Obviously i'll be changing my bars, controls etc to suit my riding style but are there any weak points on the bike that i should get sorted from day one to save expensive maintenance later on.
Should i replace the valves or oil filter etc from stock for better higher quality components etc.

4. should i run fully synthetic oil and what brand do you reccomend.
over here in the uk we generally have available silkolene, plutoline and castrol. (don't really have the cool products over here sadly)

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
You didn't say what type of riding you do, MX/Trails, and how hard you ride??? If you race there is a very stringent maintanence schedule. Taking care of the bike will avoid most of the horror stories you read about here. Keep a very close eye/ear on the valves!

Last edited:

syko

Jan 10, 2004
sorry,
I ride MX although as it is my first four stroke i'm spending the rest of this season just practicing at my local practice tracks. I ride my 2 strokes pretty hard but this is a whole new ball game, i intend to ride aggressive as always although i will try to keep it off the limiter.
i also intend to change the bike every year from this point on if i can.

Top Bottom