bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
This is a little long so you have to bear with me. Lately I have been running C-12 in my 02 CR250 with great results. I changed from Phillips/Track Tek 111 and find the C-12 to be a much better gas. Anyway I went to buy my normal allowance of 4 gallons of C12 and the dealer asked me if I wanted to try Ultimate 2 or MR2. I have been going to him for a couple of weeks so we are building a relationship. We started talking about race fuels and the differences between each. He obviously knew his stuff and started spitting out all this technical information between all the fuels VP has for 2-stroke applications. To get to the point he started talking about MR2 and how it was god gifts to racing, but that MR2 is actually just a combination of different VP fuels. He called them base stocks and he was able to mix any of these base stocks and get a certain fuel. For example he said MR2 was actually just CMP & C-12 mixed in certain percentages and Ultimate 2 was a mix of 4 different VP fuels and Ultimate 4 was a mix between 8 different fuels. Does this sound kosher to guys?? He also said all "specialty" VP fuels where basically a mix between each other. I don't know if he was BSing me to make a buck or actually telling me the truth. Any comment would be much appreciated.

Erik

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Yes and No...more No IMO.

VP Blends fuel. They formulate all fuels much like Phillips. It is not as simpple as 2 parts C12 and 1 parts U2 to get MR2.
CMP is C12 based as an outlaw dirttrack/bracket fuel. DRT is C16 based. Both take the C12/C16 bases and add alot of Oxygen bearing components. They are not the best bike fuels. I ran DRT in out 125 it worked but U2 is way better.

MTBE is used in most VP fuels for that extra we all brag about along with Propelyne oxide (spelling) and other stuff.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
I had my dealer do the same crap to me and I believed him and I ended up wasting $50 for 5 gallons of U4. They claimed it was oxyginated and MUCH better than C12 which is all I run. So, I gave it a shot and it totally screwed my jetting up. So, I tried to adjust around it and never was able to get it right. Anyway, I'm back to C12 and just recovering from the jetting issues, but still trying to work them out. Anyway, stick to what works for you. In my oppinion, I have not had anything better than C12.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Does this sound kosher to guys??

No, it does not. ;)

He may have been talking about mixing base stocks specific to each fuel and starting from there, but to believe they're mixing each final product together to get a new one is ludicrous.

You should ask him why they don't 'blend' their prices with their fuels. ;) The way those fuels are priced, it's like they 'added' the price tags for the final charge. Some of the NUTEC just went up to 10 bucks a gallon, and I think U2 is probably 8.50. C12 is probably $5; and to think C12 is a component of MR2....distillation curves valleys apart. :think: nah

Top Bottom