Some Parents

stormer94

Subscriber
SMART?!?! I ended up with your bike didn't I? heheh.

You were at Malta, wouldn't you say there was a big difference between the Montana and North Dakota parents? Montana folks being a bit more 'harsh'.

Why don't you get your own handle ya big 'handle hogger' :confused:

I'm leaning toward the KTM125, BTW... You gonna be in Bismarck soon? you could save me about 300 miles :)

NdKxRacer

I figured Iif Matt keeps getting all the posts, someday he may get one of those pretty pictures by his name. Pretty trivial, I know, but It's a lifelong goal that we have and I hope the DRN gods will someday come through for us. Ha Ha.
Anyhows, the answer to your question about parents the way I'm starting to see it is-- I think that the Montana races were at the end of their seoson and that put the parents in this mode of desperation, because it seems like things in ND were getting worse at the end of our season. There got to be a lot more namecalling and poor sportsmanlike conduct at the last 2 races. I think that parents are probably the same all over , but maybe the trophies are bigger in Montana. Isn't eerything bigger in Montana. Oops, sorry, wrong state, I thiink that's Texas.
If you Get that big fast orange KTM pumpkin, you will never go back to a Japanese bike. I will be in Bismarck for the Banquet on October 27th, but you can't wait that long. And you have to be there so they can get your picture taken and be on the web site.

what really pisses me off is the parents who stand behind their kid at the line, and when the gate drops they push their kid so they can get a better start. seriously, thats such bull$hit. then when their kid crashes...they come running across the track blocking other kids who are trying to race so they can pick up their kids bike for them, restart it, and give them another push to get them going again. i can see helping your kid up if he is pinned under the bike, but if they cant pick up their own bike and start it themselves, they shouldnt be racing. at one of my races not to long ago, mike alessi was there on a 125. i give that kid props cause hes super fast, but he couldnt push his own bike to the line, he couldnt start it himself, and he couldnt even touch a foot on the ground to keep himself up while he was sitting on the line. his mechanic had to do all of it for him. when i moved up to my 125, my dad didnt let me ride it until i could lay it on the ground, pick it up, and restart it myself.

yeah, i've done a few races and dad has started coming to watch me. He has always supported me and my riding but has never come to my races before. The last race was a motorcross and i did not as good in the 1st race and had a semi-big crash in the second. It had rained all day, I had bent my bars, I was covoured in mud and I had a puncture in a tire that needed to be pumped up between every race. I had had enough, but dad kept encouraging me.
I flew in the 3rd race and found myself in second place with my friend and "arch nemisis" behind me. Dad was standing on the fence waving his arms in encouragment every time I want past. On the very last corner of the race my "friend" crashed into me and took us both down. I crossed 6th. I was so dissapointed. Dad was still encouraging, and the whole way home he was telling me to buy a 240 kit so i could get better starts and saying we should start looking for a new bike for me. Its always good when your parents come to encourage you, but I couldnt have finished the day wothout him.

HMMMM........just another reason I'm glad I dont have kids and have to deal with the "stuff" all you parents do. It's too bad people think that just because they HAVE a child that they are qualified to BE a parent. You have to be trained and get a license to drive a car, but all you have to do is be STUPID for a few minutes.....and you are responisible for the life and upbringing of a child.

stormer94

Subscriber
Hogwylde,

You know what though, it goes both ways, sure there are problems, but it's also great to watch your kids ride and improve, and it's nice to know that I'm not one of those nutso parents. You'd never know how good a parent you were unless you got to see the bad parents know and again. :D

Evidently I'm doing an okay job. My 8 year old daughter had just completed a race on her xr50. She probably took 9th out of 15. I asked her if she wanted to go up to the scorers table and see where she officially placed. She said, "Dad, it's doesn't matter where I finished as long as I had fun". Kids do listen to what you tell them. :) (at least sometimes...heheh)

MN KDXer

Registered
Potentially nasty situation

I've seen that very same behavior at MX races, and that's one of the reasons we ride Enduro and HS instead. The E & HS parents are more interested in their kids having fun.

It would be GREAT if this sort of parental behavior could be quenched, but the track operator has to be really carefull how he does it. The rules MUST be clearly defined and uniformly enforced, otherwise, it's a certain brawl. As a BMX track operator, I've had plenty of experiences with this and it could easily be a powder keg. Fortunately, at the BMX races, the rules are simple- Foul language by either the rider, or their parents, gets a warning and then gets a DQ for the day. It also keeps conflicts to a minimum. IMO, given the sometimes tougher crowd of MX riders, "I" wouldn't want to be the one to tell Mrs Potty Mouth that her kid is DQ'd; especially if her hubby is Paul Bunyan. :eek:

stormer94

Subscriber
MN KDXer,

Of course if Paul Bunyon cleans your clock, you get the last laugh when you get to own his house as part of the settlement :p

Yeah, Just last weekend, I heard a guy yelling at another guy that he was going to punch him in the eye or something. Crazy!