Feb 23, 2004
The other day I noticed that, on my 1999 RM125, when i hold the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth, the headset makes a clicking noise...when i look at the top of it, i can actually see a little movement. What is this? How do I fix it?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Sounds like the nut on the top of the tripple clamp is loose.

Usually the steering bearing nut is tightened to a specific torque value and then backed-off. You shop manual will have the value.

I'd tighten it before you damage (if it isn't already damaged) the head bearing.

Feb 23, 2004
I don't think it's the clamp that's moving...the movement i see is between the vertical tube at the very front of the frame (steering tube???) and whatever else is in there (bushing/bearing?????)...it may be that the bushing/bearing is just getting worn out...is this dangerous??? or will it just get sloppier?

B

biglou

Check out this picture here: Click!

That pic is of a YZ125, but they're all about the same. You need to take apart your steering assembly and check things out. Remove your bars, remove the large nut in the center of your triple clamp, loosen the pinch bolts on the upper clamp around the fork tubes, then tap it up and off using a rubber mallet. From there, you will see a funny-looking nut, #4 in the picture, that is more of a ring with slots cut in it. If it isn't finger loose, you can use a pair of channel-lock pliers to remove it. From there, just drop your forks and front wheel out, and clean and regrease the bearings.

If you want to risk it (I wouldn't on a bike with a few years on it), you can just tighten the ring until the play is gone, then reinstall the top clamp, bars, etc.

There's another thread already running about how tight the steering should be. I like mine to stay centered unless I bump it slightly, then I want it to flop to one side. There should be no detectable slop in the headset like you have now. Good luck.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
biglou said:
If you want to risk it (I wouldn't on a bike with a few years on it), you can just tighten the ring until the play is gone, then reinstall the top clamp, bars, etc.
Just relube it and tighten it up is what I think you meant. Right?

This is a simple job that you can do on your own and your confidence level will go up after you do it. Good picture Lou. :thumb:

Top Bottom