wasted

Mar 14, 2004
my brothers son has a pw50 which fits him good physically but is really lacking in his ability powerwise... I realize it is what it is, but there is zero take off power to it, and he is actually starting to loose interest in riding it because it isnt fast enough to keep up with the other bikes...
I pulled the so called muffler/spark arrestor off it the other day so it "sounded" like the other bikes and that kind of renewed his interest, but that wont last long... he loves riding, and rides the thing all the time, but hes getting pretty bummed out with the power delivery, and he isnt big enough size wise for a bigger bike, so our only real option is to try to get a little more power out of it...

I've read some about the dynoport clutch springs, which we're probably going to try(I think the clutch engaging at a little higher rpm would probably help quite a bit)
I also know about the qt50 gearing and the yt60 topend, but I've been searching all around and except for buying them new(which is pretty pricey compared to what the bike is worth) I cant seem to find used ones anywhere, I think I'd sooner find a gold nugget that a used qt50 gear...

I'm in the process of doing some airbox/ exhaust pipe mods now, but seeings as I've never had one of these apart, and dont know much about this perticular bike motorwise, I have a few questions, some may seem a little off the wall, but I just want to have a game plan before hand so I can hop it up with the least amount of down time...

so...
does the pw50 have a steel sleeve or is it plated?
what is the biggest one can be bored out to? has anyone done this and have any comments on how it turned out?
would it be possible to bore out the pw cylinder and install an oversized yt 60 piston?
are there any other miss matching of parts that work to give it a little bigger displacement without costing more than the bike itself?

a good friend of mine works in a big machine shop so I can get anything done machinewise thats needed for nothing, I just need know what, if anything, is needed...

I did a search and didnt really come up with any answers to these question...

thanks for any comments/ advise...

jfontenot

Jan 27, 2003
My son raced his PW50 for a year or two (or should I say he beat it to the ground for a year or two). Here’s what I did to help the little guy out in the power/speed department.

Swiss cheese the air box or replace it all together – let it breath! Remove the nylon gear from the oil injector pump and run pre-mix. Plasma cut the pipe and gut it clean on the inside (if you make the cuts on the inside of the pipe facing the bike no one will ever know). Remove that pesky silencer. Re-jet! Can remember put I think I actually went down a size or two, you may have to play it by ear. Snip the electronic rev limiter wire located under the seat (I think it’s the white one, not sure – you may want do some research). Dial in the carb and you see a big difference in performance

Good luck!

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
In my opinion, the PW50 is a good beginner bike and that's about it. Once they learn to go and stop, then it's time to move on. Get him an XR50... the seat height is only about an inch or two more and there are tons of hop up's for those things. And don't forget about the KTM 50 lineup... tons of options there.

Top Bottom