Some Questions: Broken piston, 99 RM 250.

B

biglou

My freind Robert's piston came apart in his 99 RM 250 in the whoops yesterday. We've taken the top end apart and also removed the engine from the frame. The piston skirt broke apart on one side and consequently I have a few questions before we either tear into this or decide to let someone else do it.

1. This bike has a side cover to the case, on the clutch side. In addition to the clutch cover, there is another cover that basically opens the entire side of the case. If we open this up, will it be sufficiant for getting all the little fragments flushed out, or will we have to split the case?

2. We've got the original new top end kit that came with the bike (in hindsight, we should have installed it before race season this year. Three years is a bit long for a top end. :o ). Anyone have any insight as to the best course of action? We're semi-beginners, but very willing and able to give something a try. Mechanically inclined, we're not afraid to take something apart, it's the putting it back together phase that concerns me!

If anyone has any general or specific suggestions, we'd be gratefull to hear them. Thanks in advance.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
You will not find any piston fragment's on the clutch side-tranny side That clutch cover case, is only for the tranny side,shifting mech,clutch basket,Water pump etc.The crank is totaly seperate from the tranny,You need to flush out the bottom end where the crank is,If you believe their is fragment's down there.

Top Bottom