Something I've been pondering

MX-727

Lifetime Sponsor
I'd just finished reading an interview with Heath Voss. I was really struck by how hard some of these privateers have to work to try and make it.

So, I hatched an idea that's been nagging at me for about a month. There are 16 supercross races. We are approaching 7000 members. If we could get 5000 members to pony up $1/race or $16 each, DRN could provide $80,000 in sponsorship to a deserving rider, or spread that money between a couple of riders.

Imagine going to a race and knowing that you were a sponsor for one of the riders out there. Imagine meeting that rider and think of his appreciation.

I know that some are going to say this unworkable, and maybe we can't get 5000 members to pony up $1 per race, but this really seems like the right thing for this group of fans.

So, how much of a dreamer am I? :confused:

Not a bad idea. Unless you really expect total participation.

Count me in.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Good idea.

That would be fun. Even if only 500 participate, that would generate $8,000 which would be a BIG boost to a privateer and should get prominent DRN sticker exposure.

How do we pick the rider? Are high ranking guys like Heath Voss eligible?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
the slackers at freshdirt/mxworld are already sponsoring riders in this manner.
on a sidenote regarding heath voss; husky rider jason thomas stated on another board that the reason voss is still a privateer is because voss will not accept a ride unless it is factory honda. he has had other offers.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
A rider sponsored by DRN Members... Cool Idea! :cool:

Implementation might be a bit tough given that we would need to settle on one rider but who knows... stranger things have happened.

bwalker

Lifetime Sponsor
on a sidenote regarding heath voss; husky rider jason thomas stated on another board that the reason voss is still a privateer is because voss will not accept a ride unless it is factory honda. he has had other offers.
Sounds like Voss is pretty smart.;)

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
Cool!:cool:

We have one working his way up. To have one in the ranks would be cool too.

oldguy

Always Broken
Great idea I would love to get involved in this type of effort.

Tommy Hofmaster comes to mind as a possibility. He has been placing right around 15th regularly in 125SX and is just a hair away every week from qualifying for the 250's. Wardy knows his family pretty good and I would think he'd be pretty happy with the help.
Maybe we can pull it off for Nationals.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
count me in on this deal. How cool would it be to hear some rider mention his DRN sponsor on the podium :cool:

I'm a big Jason McCromick fan. He has done well in 125 SX this year and has won outdoor national motos before. Also I heard that Scott Sheak is coming home to America for a national ride, maybe him? It's to bad Michael Byrne is going back to Australia after the Supercross series, he'd be a great canidate.

MX-727

Lifetime Sponsor
Heath was just an example. I also thought of Hofmaster because Wardy is close to him. As long as we sponsored someone who actually is posting good results, I wouldn't care who it was. Maybe Okie should have the final say.

On a side note, I did meet Heath and his mom today. Nice people. They work hard to keep him on the track.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
I like the fact that Hofmaster and McCormack (sp?) go for it in both SX classes. That's really cool and fits well with the 'working man's hero' theme. But it would also be great to have somebody who regularly makes the 250 main but could use that little extra boost.

Lots of good candidates mentioned already - maybe a DRN poll is in order.

RM_guy

Scared of DirtWeek<BR>Club *********
Damn Yankees
Pretty cool idea, count me in :)

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Awsome idea. You've got my support. I am kind of thinking Jason Thomas or Heath Voss. Either way, it's a great idea. Maybe a set of DRN fender stickers could be put on the riders bike too. Then we can get the DRN Semi. (OK maybe not the semi) :D

Andy