VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Riders? Bike? Mechanical support?

We're not starting our own team. We're just talking about finacial support. Aren't we?

Oops, TwinSpar beat me to the punch.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Self sustaining? I WISH! My goal is that someday DRN will get to that point.

I'm going to bring this subject up with some people in the know, to see what's involved. I can say this much, we won't be able to get a top 10 rider (they prolly have enough support anyway).

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Something on the line of what RacerX does with their Gas card would be the best way to get DRN on top billing every week.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
lets do this

I agree that the top 10 guys already have the backing to keep going. I would really like to see us behind a hard working up and coming rider (which is why I like Hofmaster). We may not have a champ this year but maybe a year or so down the road.
I am in and pledge $50 to start it out.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by VintageDirt
Riders? Bike? Mechanical support?

We're not starting our own team. We're just talking about finacial support. Aren't we?

Oops, TwinSpar beat me to the punch.

Oops I did it again, I'm going back to the internet corner, but this time I brought my beach chair and cooler.

and I'm still in support

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Excellent idea!

This would be an excellent idea--hopefully a top ten guy (lotsa luck), but at least a guy with heart and the right attitude. Lots of exposure.

As far as the Voss getting a ride thing goes, I think he's gotten offers, but on a 125, and he fancies himself a 250 guy. He's holding out for the 250 ride (and I think he kinda likes being his own boss to some extent).

Anyhow, I'm all for the $1/race sponsorship--let's string it out through the nats! (28 bucks), but I think we should wait til next year so we get a guy through the whole year.

KWJams brings up a good point as well as far as the RacerX gas card is concerned, since that gets a lot of exposure. There must be something like that we could do.

Come on you marketing geniuses!

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
GREAT IDEA!

Even if just some extra cash as available from DRN members went to a rider. $16-25 per season is not too much for me, and I for one would be PROUD to help sponsor a humble and deserving privateer who flys the DRN colours. And I think it would be cool to root for someone you have a connection too - of course this rider would have to also be a regular contributing member of DRN as part of the deal!

Get this out in the General Forum...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Re: GREAT IDEA!

Originally posted by *william*
. . . of course this rider would have to also be a regular contributing member of DRN as part of the deal!

Get this out in the General Forum...

I agree with the general forum deal--more exposure.

Heck, maybe a poll on each forum!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Jeez,

You bush monkeys need to venture into the land of man-made obstacles and groomed tracks more often. ;)

Give me a little while and I'll start something up in the General Forum.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000

Instead of supporting a single rider who may not ever get his / her name mentioned during an event we should offer an incentive for performance throughout an event.
Something that will be mentioned by Bailey & Eckman several times per event with a few banners set up trackside where the cameras can pan over.

The odds of a privateer ever leading start to finish and actually winning are probably a gazillion to one. So we can offer the;

"DRN- Hard Charger Award":cool:

Given to the privateer who completes the most laps the closest to the top.
Example: So & So ran 15 laps in fifth position.

HUSAFREEK

Jul 21, 2000
I have my own ideas about the rider but it is Okie's site and I think it should be up to him. Now for the important stuff where do I send my check?

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
I guess I'm late to the party too, but this is a great idea. I'd be in for $28 or so. I agree with RazorbackDave, having a vested interest makes thing much more interesting. This could be a great way to get increased exposure for DRN.

DRDMIKE

Nov 16, 2000
Count me in. Maybe we could award it like a scholarship to the highest finishing privateer(or maybe top three) from the previous season. This would sure make the races more interesting.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
I seldom visit this forum, so thanks to Twinspar for bringing it to my attention. I think this is a great idea. Count me in if it happens.

I also agree someone like Hofmaster would be a good choice. But I also like KW's Hard Charger idea. Decisions, decisions, :) .

Coop

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by KX - 727
...... but we'd need to be sure we could get enough participation to make it worthwhile.

With 7000 members, let's see how many respond to this post.
My feeling is you will see possibly 100's at best so let's see the membership show me wrong.

I like the idea and will support the effort. :)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Lots of good ideas so far, and I really hope we can pull something together.

Here is my $0.02 for a plan to assist a single rider for next year's SX series.

Accept nominations and discussion from the members for a one week period. Postiive discussions allowed; no flaming. After the week, the mods select 16 candidates.

Each week for 4 weeks, 4 riders are selected by the mods for a 'heat race'; a poll of the readers. Each member is allowed one vote. Highest vote getter advances to finals.

The week before the final vote, each of the 4 finalists is given the opportunity to introduce themselves to DRN by posting a message. If they choose not to post, they are still eligible for the vote.

Winner in the final vote gets the sponsorship; DRN members encouraged to each give $1 per race for the 16 race series.

Even the riders who do not win the final will be allowed to point to their role and popularity in the DRN poll, which may help them get other sponsors.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Good ideas DBD! We just need to make sure this sponsorship doesn't become cost prohibitive just getting it started.

I guess with nominees by the members, we cut down on the # of "applicants".

Curiouser and curiouser . . .:think

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm in! Definitly a very, very cool idea!

Just let me know when and where to send a check.:cool:

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Very Interesting...

I'm in for $30.00+ for an effort like this. It would make me feel much more involved in every race. IMHO it would be best to select a rider that's in both the 250 SX and MX Nationals. 125 riders only race half the time in Supercross (East/West).

Of course my mind is blank on how we can pull this off... :confused:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I'd contribute to this too. I like the idea of possibly adding the Nationals to it too. That's about the only race i get to see live each year. :(

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Tha is a great idea!!! You guys have to take into accout the fact that there are not many members(considering the 7000 members total) that visit very often. I was looking at the member list before and there are at least 500 members that have never posted!!! I think it is a really good idea. Maybe we can build them a bike too:think :D . we have eric gorr and jeremy as mods. Makes you think. I think we should sponser any privateer that has a major problem, like a "problem"found that you have to apply for. For example, one of the guys on Jeff Emig's recently defunct team(Michael Byrne) used HIS OWN funds to go to the dallas supercross. Maybe we could give riders that are having hardships the money?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Count me in too!! I think Hoffmaster would be an excellent choice for the rider!! (If it wasn't for him helping me out one year at Loretta's - I may not have been able to race my last moto) He is definately a hard-working and 1st class kid (and a local guy too) I think this whole idea is pretty neat... :)

Top Bottom