Sometimes when I go to kick start the kick start freezes up. Any ideas?

skos

Jan 24, 2009
Sometimes when I go to kick start the kick start freezes up. Any ideas?

It happens when its warm or cold.

I get a couple of kicks and then it locks up. I have to let up and try again

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
kick start return spring could be bent and hanging on something. Pull the RH covers and have a good look to see if anything could be binding up the ratchet gear or idler gear. If it's not there then it's possible you have a more serious problem in the business end of the motor.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
If your bike is a modern day thumper (4 stroke), if the engine just happens to rotate past the decompressor and stops, you are trying to kick against full compression. If the bike runs fine, does not smoke, does not knock, and has no lack of power, you have nothing to worry about. As far as the person with the lawnmower that does that, check the flywheel key. It may be partially sheared.

skos

Jan 24, 2009
Its a 1998 XY125
When it happens all I have to do is move the bike either forward or backward a bit and then it is not froze anymore.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
When the kick starter "freezes", rock it back and forth, then it works, sure sounds like a clutch issue to me. The clutch is not engaging completely for some reason, and the kick starter can feel froze. Are you sure there is free play at the perch? Then I would look for a loose or worn clutch, especially a notched basket and/or inner hub. I suppose even warped metals could do it? What is a XY125, got any pics? Vintage Bob

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
XY125 sure sounds like a China bike designation to me.

skos

Jan 24, 2009
Update

So it locked up on me. I pulled apart the clutch and found the the kick gear was bad.

cb23

Mar 15, 2004
I owned a "thumper" a couple of decades ago. (A thumper is a single piston engine, usually large-ish, mostly 500cc) I had a Suzuki SP370. It had a. . . pressure release. . . that allowed the engine to turn without compression. When you saw silver (metal) in the window on the side of the engine, it was ready to kick start.

I only used this when the bike was new. It turned out that my engine stopped at the perfect spot.

I have read that many thumpers have a problem with "kick back", though I never saw it.

Chris

skos

Jan 24, 2009
ok, update on this one is it was the kick start gear. The clip came out and was stopping the gear from moving.

Replaced the gear, washer and clip and all is good again

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom